Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IceGrid and its definition of "load"

Hi there!

I'm working my way through the massive chapter on IceGrid and one aspect that really moves me is its restricted definition of "load".

There doesn't seem to be (or at least I couldn't see it) a hook for the server / node / app to register its own load parameters to be used for load balancing. What if it is not CPU load I want to build my balancing strategy on but e.g. number of connected clients, number of open files, thermal heat, whatever?

Why not have an IceGrid interface any "gridded" application has to implement to deliver its load and have IceGrid follow its strategy based on the values it queries over this interface??

Regards,
Mobi.

Comments

• Mobiwan wrote:
    Hi there!
    What if it is not CPU load I want to build my balancing strategy on but e.g. number of connected clients, number of open files, thermal heat, whatever?

I hold the same view. Load is not just CPU load, so it is better that we can customerize it.
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. You're right, it's currently not possible to provide custom load information to IceGrid. We discussed about adding this but decided to keep it simple for now, but adding this is still on our TODO list :)

From the examples you provide, it sounds like the best would be to have an interface that allows applications to provide the load directly at the server or object adapter level (e.g.: if the load is "number of clients connected to the server") or at the node level (e.g.: if the load is "thermal heat").

Benoit.
  • Hi Benoit,

yes, that's what I'd recommend: Have a well defined interface any managed service (or node) may implement to deliver it's current load and have IceGrid make use of it whenever locating the least loaded server.

The concept of service trading has been around for some time (ask your boss about it ;-) ...) and it seems as if adding it to IceGrid would be a pretty valuable enhancement.

Cheers,
    Mobi.
  • "load defination"

hi
    i also vote for customized interface for load balancing.
    i am interested to see the network communication cost factor in " load defination".

cheers

Geri Foster