Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Unexpected type returned from Icestorm

I tell you....I am beginning to feel like the village idiot in this forum as my mysterious struggles continue.

Context: just migrated to Ice 3.4.1, JDK 1.6, XP
I have updated my CLASSPATH and ICE_HOME symbols accordingly.
I have successfully run the same test I am running now on 3.3.1
I have downloaded the new slice plugin for Eclipse and I have updated my windows->preferences->slice2java path accordingly.
I have cleaned my project following the install of the new plugin.
I have created new "shells" which have the new environment variables active in whose context I fire up the executables below:

The problem:

1) I start Icestorm per the "readme" file in the "demoj/icestorm/clock directory and it starts up fine and emits the usual "accepting connection" messages.

2) I fire up the publisher, it connects to Icestorm....but crashes immediately thereafter in an autogenerated file:

[ 2/8/11 22:03:44:828 Network: tcp connection established
local address = 192.168.1.11:3811
remote address = 24.16.105.215:10000 ]
Publisher: Java error
java.lang.VerifyError: (class: generated/ClockPrxHelper, method: begin_tick signature: (Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/util/Map;ZLIceInternal/CallbackBase;)LIce/AsyncResult;) Wrong return type in function
at Publisher.run(Publisher.java:114)
at Ice.Application.main(Application.java:116)
at Ice.Application.main(Application.java:64)
at Publisher.main(Publisher.java:146)
[ 2/8/11 22:03:44:875 Network: closing tcp connection
local address = 127.0.0.1:3810
remote address = 127.0.0.1:10000 ]
[ 2/8/11 22:03:44:890 Network: closing tcp connection
local address = 192.168.1.11:3811
remote address = 24.16.105.215:10000 ]

Yes....I am likely being an idiot again and don't really like advertising it. My intent was to get back to my Android testing using the new 3.4.1+ Ice.jar file advertised today....but no luck. (I am using the regular 3.4.1 Ice.jar on the XP machine....not the other one). Dooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh!!!!

Thanks for any help....

ALex

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Alex,

It's not a common error :). See this thread on Stack Overflow for possible reasons.

The first thing you should double-check is that you rebuilt completely your publisher after upgrading to Ice 3.4.1, i.e.
    - re-translated all your Slice files with the 3.4.1 slice2java
    - recompiled using the Ice 3.4.1 jar file

You would probably get this kind of error if you built with Ice 3.3 and switched to the Ice 3.4 runtime without rebuilding. (Or the reverse -- built using Ice 3.4 while running using the Ice 3.3 runtime). Ice 3.3 and Ice 3.4 are not binary compatible.

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Alex,
    AlexBell wrote: »
    I am using the regular 3.4.1 Ice.jar on the XP machine....not the other one

While you can use the regular Ice 3.4.1 Ice.jar file on non-Android systems (Windows, Linux etc.), and the new patched Ice.jar for Android, you can also use this latest Ice.jar everywhere. Whichever you find the simplest!

The patch for Android maintains binary compatibility: you won't need to change your code or even rebuild when replacing your 3.4.1 Ice.jar with this new 3.4.1+ Ice.jar.

All the best,
    Bernard