Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Has anyone tried using ICE with Pocket PCs?

Hey.

I'm using ICE in a project that requires that I run clients on a diverse range of hardware and environments. One of the clients needs to be a PDA, of which I only have ones running PocketPC 2003.

Has anyone heard of any attempts to get ICE running under such an environment?

Ignoring issues of performance (which aren't too relevant to me at this stage), can anyone tell me any big reasons why I shouldn't be able to do this? I haven't seriously gotten into the guts of trying this yet - I'm still trying to determine whether or not its feasible, and my time constraints prevent me from spending a week tinkering without an idea of whether it will work.

I'm only wanting to run clients on the PDA, so I imagine there may be parts of it that I can remove to simplify things a little, but again, I haven't actually tried yet..

So, could anyone give me some pointers on the feasibility of this?

Aside from this, ICE is performing great for my other needs - I expect that I'll build a relay client for the PDA if I'm unable to get ICE to work on it, but it would be very useful if it was possible.

Trond
Student - HIT Lab NZ - www.hitlabnz.org

Comments

• marc
    marc Florida
    I didn't look into Windows CE for quite some time now, but the last time I looked, one of the problems was that the C++ compiler didn't support exception handling. But it's quite possible that it does support this now.
  • I didn't look into Windows CE for quite some time now, but the last time I looked, one of the problems was that the C++ compiler didn't support exception handling. But it's quite possible that it does support this now.
    Yes it does.
    One of the most frequently heard feature requests from programmers has been C++ exception handling. With the release of Windows CE .NET, Windows CE now supports C++ exception handling. This is the standard C++ catch/throw exception handling model that is found in the desktop version of the Microsoft Visual C++® compiler. The Win32 structured exception handling model continues to be supported under Windows CE .NET.
    Also check out this link for more information:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/prodtechinfo/devtools/eVisualc/evcandcenet/default.aspx
  • marc
    marc Florida
    That's good news for Windows CE developers. The lack of exception handling was always a big problem.