Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IcePack and IceBox in C#

We're planning on building C#-based servers. We have used the service configurator pattern when dealing in the TAO world (though its success is limited largely because the pattern is not as cleanly implemented as one might like). That said, I've been tinking with the idea of porting IceBox and IcePack over to C#. Is this something that ZeroC has looked at or has it not been a big enough blip on the radar map to make it happen.

Given the source code I've seen for IceBox in Java, I'd be willing to donate the time (granted, I don't see it as being any signficant effort) to get something like this up an operational. I haven't looked at the IcePack code though.

Comments

• Limit that request to IceBox, I can see that IcePack would be a larger effort that wouldn't provide significant benefit at this time.
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    crackajaxx wrote:
    Limit that request to IceBox, I can see that IcePack would be a larger effort that wouldn't provide significant benefit at this time.

You can use IcePack from any C# application. Why would you want to port the IcePack daemon itself to C#?

Regards, Matthew
  • Yes, I understand what you're saying and it was a mistatement on my part. I recinded my IcePack request, my real question should have only been directed at IceBox. A c# version of IceBox would provide a deployment platform for those of us on that platform.

Sorry for the confusion.
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    crackajaxx wrote:
    Yes, I understand what you're saying and it was a mistatement on my part. I recinded my IcePack request, my real question should have only been directed at IceBox. A c# version of IceBox would provide a deployment platform for those of us on that platform.

Sorry for the confusion.

We plan on supporting IceBox (or something similar) in the future for C#. However, if you have a commercial need for such support we can certainly provide this for you very quickly. Please mail us at info@zeroc.com if you are interested.

Regards, Matthew