Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Collocation Optimization with IcePack: a bug?

I've found what seems really like a bug of collocation optimization, when using a registry to object resolution.

If I simply get the proxy for my object with:

prx = MyObjectPrx::uncheckedCast(ic->stringToProxy("myObject"));
prx->function();

there is no way to get the collocation optimization enabled.
While, if I explicitly contact the registry to get the proxy:

IcePack::AdminPrx admin = IcePack::AdminPrx::uncheckedCast(ic->stringToProxy("IcePack/Admin"));
prx = MyObjectPrx::uncheckedCast(admin->getObjectDescriptor(stringToIndentity("myObject")).proxy);
prx->function();

all works fine.
Why such a strange behavior when, looking at code and sniffing packets, both methods seem to end up with the same remote request to the registry?

Thanks in advance,
Arrigo

P.S. I'm compiling Ice-2.1.2 right now

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Thanks for the report.

The Ice runtime only looks at the given proxy to figure out wether or not to make a collocated invocation. If the proxy only contains an identity (i.e.: "myObject"), there's no object adapter information (endpoints or adapter id) and the Ice runtime can't figure out if it points to a local object or not and will always use remote invocations.

We will look into fixing this. In the meantime, you can also use the IcePack::Query::findObjectById() method to retrieve the proxy of the object (this proxy contains the adapter id or endpoints and therefore will allow collocated invocations).

Benoit.