Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Question about Compiling Ice on True64 ?

hi.
When I compile Ice on True64, there comes many configure errors.
Then I try modifying the Makefile and ./config/Make.rules to avoid the errors, still no use.

Can anyone tell me It's possible that compiling Ice success on True64(ver5.1b) or not ?
And then some advice for compiling that ?

For we must use alpha workstation with true64, when I think of using Ice for distribute systembristol, the feasibility I must first to know. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks. Myer.

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Ice is not supported on Tru64, and as far as I know, was never ported to this OS by any of our users.

If you like, you can do this port yourself; it should be reasonably easy since Ice builds with many C++ compilers, in both 32 and 64 bit mode. You'd start by writing your own <ice-root>/config/Make.rules.`uname` and edit <ice-root>/include/IceUtil/Config.h to add Tru64 conditionals.

Another possibility is to have ZeroC do this port; in this way, Tru64 could become a supported platform in the next Ice release. Please e-mail us at sales@zeroc.com if you want to discuss this option.

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • I try to modify "Make.rules" and "Config.h", creat a file "Make.rules.OSF1" for tru64,
    then run "gmake", something like only link error:

cxx -shared -L../../lib -o ../../lib/libIceUtil.so.2.1.2 -h libIceUtil.so.21 Base64.o Cond.o CountDownLatch.o CtrlCHandler.o Exception.o Shared.o GC.o GCRecMutex.o GCShared.o InputUtil.o MD5.o MD5I.o Options.o OutputUtil.o RWRecMutex.o RecMutex.o StaticMutex.o StringUtil.o Thread.o ThreadException.o Time.o UUID.o Unicode.o
    gmake[2]: *** [../../lib/libIceUtil.so.2.1.2] Segmentation fault
    gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/users/fire/OpenSource/Ice/src/IceUtil'
    gmake[1]: *** [all] Error 1
    gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/users/fire/OpenSource/Ice/src'
    gmake: *** [all] Error 1

thanks.
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Segmentation fault when you link the library ... this looks like a bug in the linker or compiler. I am afraid we can't do much to help; you may want to contact HP support or the Tru64 support forums.

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Thank you.

When I resolve it, I will go back for a conclusion.
  • I changed the configure file and used gmake and gcc. And in file "IceUtil/Thread.cpp" I modified
    "nanosleep(&ts, 0);"
    to
    "pthread_delay_np (&ts);"
    to avoid the link error.

Now, it seems working.
    but it is so so slow. why?
    For example , with the demo "printer", it takes 2.5s for the client to connect to the server for printing a "Hello world!" message.

Help! Thanks!
  • Again...

At Client, I give some "cout" info to see which statement is most slowly.
    like this:
    int main(...)
    {
    cout << "First!" << endl; //first statement;
    }
    Run the program, after about 2.4s, message "First" is showed.

why? all this on windows is very fast.
  • chang this:
    OPTIMIZE = yes

then the init speed is very fast too.

On tru64, All is OK.
    Thank you.
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Congratulations for completing this port so quickly!

If you like, you could post a patch on the "Patches" forum with your changes: I am sure other Tru64 users would appreciate.

Thanks,
    Bernard