Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

why not and when does ICE port to Symbian OS?

hi,

I am looking forward for ICE offering Symbian OS C++ client version. Would you please give me a schedule?

Thanks very much

Comments

• We don't have any schedule for on Symbian. If you have a commercial need for Ice on Symbian, please contact us at info@zeroc.com.
  • I think symbian os has a big market

thank you for instant reply

But I think symbian os has a big market in smart terminal field, so why don't you put it on the schedule?

sorry for my abruptness
  • As far as I know, Symbian doesn't support exceptions. That's a big show-stopper for Ice. So, if Symbian adds exception support, we can think about it. Without that, is a no-go, I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Michi.
  • michi wrote:
    As far as I know, Symbian doesn't support exceptions. That's a big show-stopper for Ice. So, if Symbian adds exception support, we can think about it. Without that, is a no-go, I'm afraid.

Michi.

Well, "no exception handling" is probably not the best way to describe the situation. Having picked a different approach would suit me better. SymbianOS actually features a concept called "trapping and leaving" which basically is the same but based on a non-preemtive rather than a preemtive event handling model.

Still, there is a full featured TCP stack including TCP, UDP and AFAIK ICMP as well as higher level concepts like SSL and built in HTTP.

So, you would consider porting to Symbian by no means a "no-brainer" but it would be feaseable provided you have the necessary Symbian and Ice expertise!

Cheers,
    Stefan.