Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Strange behavior

I hope someone can help because I am completely baffled. When I came in this morning and started up the linux box that runs our Ice stuff (IceBox, Icegrid, etc) I got this never ending stream of errors during the boot process. Something like this:

*** ERROR(component.cpp:400): orcaice::Component: Failed to activate component: /opt/Ice-3.2/include/IceUtil/Handle.h:46: IceUtil::NullHandleException. Check IceGrid Registry.
]
[ 06/09/08 10:12:54.719 borelli/logger: error: Failed to register Home interface: Reference.cpp:1233: Ice::NoEndpointException:
no suitable endpoint available for proxy `IceGrid/Registry -t'. Check IceGrid Registry. You may allow things to continue without registration by setting Orca.RequireRegistry=0. ]
[ 06/09/08 10:12:55.720 borelli/logger: error: Failed to register Home interface: Reference.cpp:1233: Ice::NoEndpointException:
no suitable endpoint available for proxy `IceGrid/Registry -t'. Check IceGrid Registry. You may allow things to continue without registration by setting Orca.RequireRegistry=0. ]
[ 06/09/08 10:12:55.768 borelli/logger: warn: orcaice::Component: Failed to activate component: /opt/Ice-3.2/include/IceUtil/Handle.h:46: IceUtil::NullHandleException. Check IceGrid Registry. ]
[ 06/09/08 10:12:55.768 borelli/logger: warn: Failed to activate component. Check Registry and IceStorm. Will retry in 2s.

*** ERROR(component.cpp:400): orcaice::Component: Failed to activate component: /opt/Ice-3.2/include/IceUtil/Handle.h:46:

In fact whenever I bring up or down our internal ethernet interface I get the same errors streaming onto my terminal window:

Stopping Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: avahi-daemon.
orca: Versions: Ice=3.2.1 Orca=2.10.0+
orca: Logger: Loaded command line properties
orca: Logger: Missing component properties file because property 'Orca.Config' is not set.
orca: warning: Logger: Failed to open global config file '':
*** ERROR(proputils.cpp:57): Environment variable 'HOME' not set, while trying to load .orcarc

orca: Logger: Loaded factory default properties
orca: Logger: Created object adapter
orca: Logger: Initialized trace handler.
[ 06/09/08 10:12:53.713 borelli/logger: error: Error while connecting to IceStorm topic publisher 'status/*@borelli/logger': Network.cpp:664: Ice::ConnectionRefusedException:
connection refused: Connection refused ]
orca: error: Caught exception while connecting to IceStorm:
*** ERROR(connectutils.h:320): Error while connecting to IceStorm topic publisher 'status/*@borelli/logger': Network.cpp:664: Ice::ConnectionRefusedException:connection refused: Connection refused

orca: warning: Failed to connect to an IceStorm status topic
All trace messages will be local.
You may enforce connection by setting Orca.Status.RequireIceStorm=1.
orca: Logger: Initialized status handler
orca: Set property to default value: Orca.PropertyServerProxyString=
orca: Logger: Initialized Home interface
LocalHistory: initializing with properties:
1 properties:
DefaultFilename=logger-history.txt

orca: Logger: Initialized local history handler
[ 06/09/08 10:12:53.718 borelli/logger: error: Failed to register Home interface: Reference.cpp:1233: Ice::NoEndpointException:
orca: Logger: Application initialized
borelli/logger: status: Caught exception while sending status to topic: /opt/Ice-3.2/include/IceUtil/Handle.h:46: IceUtil::NullHandleException
[ 06/09/08 10:12:53.719 borelli/logger: error: Error while connecting to IceStorm topic publisher 'status/*@borelli/logger': Network.cpp:664: Ice::ConnectionRefusedException:
connection refused: Connection refused ]
orca: error: Caught exception while connecting to IceStorm:
*** ERROR(connectutils.h:320): Error while connecting to IceStorm topic publisher 'status/*@borelli/logger': Network.cpp:664: Ice::ConnectionRefusedException:connection refused: Connection refused

orca: warning: Failed to connect to an IceStorm status topic
All trace messages will be local.
You may enforce connection by setting Orca.Status.RequireIceStorm=1.
orca: Set property to default value: Logger.Config.FactoryLibNames=libOrcaLogFactory.so
[ 06/09/08 10:12:53.719 borelli/logger: info: Loading factory library: libOrcaLogFactory.so ]
orca: Set property to default value: Logger.Config.FilenameTimestamp=1
[ 06/09/08 10:12:53.767 borelli/logger: warn: orcaice::Component: Failed to activate component: /opt/Ice-3.2/include/IceUtil/Handle.h:46: IceUtil::NullHandleException. Check IceGrid Registry. ]
[ 06/09/08 10:12:53.767 borelli/logger: warn: Failed to activate component. Check Registry and IceStorm. Will retry in 2s.

The guys over at Orca said that if there was a component in IceGrid when I shutdown the computer then IceGrid will try and start that component back up. However when I look at the processes running on my machine, I can't find anything related to Ice which might be responsible for these messages...

And why do I get a component starting up if I bring down or up a network interface??

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi JD,

From the error messages, it looks like the Orca client (or server) can't contact your IceGrid registry.

Maybe your IceGrid registry is not running, or not listening on the expected port, or it's a config problem with your Orca client/server ... hard to say. I recommend to check again with the Orca developers.

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • I'm not saying this is an Ice problem. But why is there a component trying to load itself whenever I bring up/down a network interface?? Its as if something threw a hook in one of the if_up/down scripts or something.

How can I find out if IceGrid trying to restart a component that was once running before it was shutdown?
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi JD,

I don't know why you get these messages when you bring up a network interface; our RPMs for RHEL and SLES don't change the network interface scripts.

However, these messages indicate a problem reaching the IceGrid registry itself--not that the IceGrid registry failed to start a server. Did you check that your IceGrid registry is running?

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • No its not running and that is why I am getting the error messages. Its some Orca component (or maybe one I have written) which keeps trying to start up when I bring down/up an interface. When the component starts its looking for Ice stuff which is not running and then starts the error messages.

I could certainly try and start the Ice services to try an quell the error messages.. but a component should not be trying to start like this. I will keep talking with the Orca developers to see if I can find a solution.