Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IceBox Confusion

Hi

I am little confused on how to develop my app.

I wish to develop a microscopy application that consists on many components or ice servers. These can be servers that can control shutters , cameras or light sources.
The client will interrogate these servers to list them in a menu so the user can activate them etc.

I wish to keep these servers in separate processes so if any server / component fails the whole app (client) doesn't fall over. I also wish to write the servers in other lanaguages which will help me migrate away from legacy code a little at a time.

IceBox looks like it could help but the docs say that the servers will be in the form of dll's.
Would these still be in a separate process ?

I would be grateful if anyone could tell me if IceBox looks like the way forward
or my design is sound ?

Thanks

Comments

• matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    Hi Glenn,

Welcome to the forums!

IceBox is a container which executes IceBox services. This permits you to change your deployment after development. If you develop all of your services as separate executables, then you have no choice but to deploy them all as separate processes. If you develop them as IceBox services, you leave that choice until deployment. The exact deployment can be a service per container, or you can put multiple services within the same container. You cannot, however, deploy different language services within the same container.
  • Thanks

Thanks. IceBox seems the way to go then.