Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

slice2cs --> virtual functions

Hi,
is there a way to instruct the slice2cs compiler to produce classes with virtual members?

Regards,
Dmitry.

Comments

• mes
    mes California
    Hi Dmitry,

I'm afraid there's no way to do that. Can you give us an example to show how this would be useful?

Regards,
    Mark
  • virtual members or interfaces
    mes wrote: »
    Hi Dmitry,

I'm afraid there's no way to do that. Can you give us an example to show how this would be useful?

Regards,
    Mark

Hi, Mark.
    Example:
    1. A LogWriter services which stores LogEntrys in a database using the NHibernate ORM library;
    2. The LogEntry is defined in an *.ice file as a struct and therefore is rendered into a class with public members.
    3. In terms of the NHibernate the LogEntry is a persistent class which is required to have its public members to be virtual, so that the NHibernate is able to store/restore the class from the database;

Without LogEntry's properties being virtual I have to create a special persistent class for the LogEntry with virtual members (say NHLogEntry), and copy data from the LogEntry instance at run-time to the NHLogEntry object.

Should I be able to instruct the slice2cs somehow to produce virtual members of generated classes I would not need to establish special persistent classes for the NHibernate - any class (struct in terms of slice) could participate naturally in this storing business.

Mark,
    there is one more possibility to make a class NHibernate-compatible. Any class can be stored to a database if, at design-time, it inherits an interface. In other words, should it be possible to produce interfaces along with classes from slice definitions it would be sufficient for the NHibernate to store them in a database.

Regards,
    Dmitry.