Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Asynchronous communication in ZeroC Ice-E

Hello,

I'm new to Ice and Ice-E. My wish is to analyse what Ice-E can do. I've noticed, AMI is removed from Ice-E. Is there still a way for two components in Ice-E to communicate communicate with each other asynchronous? Are the event communication or other possibilities available?

Thank you.

Comments

• dwayne
    dwayne St. John's, Newfoundland
    If by "event communications" you mean the IceStorm service, then yes, you can use IceStorm with Ice-E as either a client or a subscriber. Since the IceStorm support is not built into Ice-E you need to compile the IceStorm slice files yourself with the Ice-E slice compiler and link the generated files into your application.
  • dwayne wrote: »
    If by "event communications" you mean the IceStorm service, then yes, you can use IceStorm with Ice-E as either a client or a subscriber. Since the IceStorm support is not built into Ice-E you need to compile the IceStorm slice files yourself with the Ice-E slice compiler and link the generated files into your application.

Thank you for your answer.

The IceStorm service is once removed for the Ice-E version, just like AMI. In case that IceStorm can be linked again, then AMI can also be linked to my application. Which impact have these additional linkages for the performance in embedded devices using Ice-E?

And one more question, which is apart from the thread title and I find important. Is Ice-E suitable for interprocess communication between applications inside the device? (i.e. Corba was used for such commucation)

Best wishes,
    Vladimir Neykov
  • dwayne
    dwayne St. John's, Newfoundland
    Heretic wrote: »
    Thank you for your answer.

The IceStorm service is once removed for the Ice-E version, just like AMI. In case that IceStorm can be linked again, then AMI can also be linked to my application. Which impact have these additional linkages for the performance in embedded devices using Ice-E?

Just to be clear, the IceStorm service itself must use regular Ice. However, Ice-E applications can be subscribers/publishers to the IceStorm service. This ability was never removed from Ice-E, just that the IceStorm.ice slice file is not built as part of the Ice-E library. Linking the IceStorm stubs should have no effect on the performance.
    Heretic wrote: »
    And one more question, which is apart from the thread title and I find important. Is Ice-E suitable for interprocess communication between applications inside the device? (i.e. Corba was used for such commucation)

Yes, you can use Ice-E for communication between applications on the device. It does not do anything special in this regard and the processes would communicate via TCP the same as processes on separate devices.