Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Installing Ice 3.4.1, README.txt unclear.

pchapin
pchapin Vermont, USA
Hello! I'm setting up Ice 3.4.1 for use in a C++ project. I intend to use Visual C++ v10 although I'm not yet sure I'll use Visual Studio. The README.txt file in the Ice distribution has a section on setting up one's environment (section 5). Under the part about C++ I see:

"If you use an x64 platform, use these settings instead..." The intent of the settings is to create a PATH with %ICE_HOME%\bin\x64;%ICE_HOME%\bin (assuming a suitable definition of ICE_HOME, of course).

I am using an x64 platform so it seems like these instructions pertain to me. However, I notice just below those instructions there is a comment for users of C++Builder. In that case, one is told to construct a PATH like

%ICE_HOME%\bin\bcc10;%ICE_HOME%\bin

I notice that in the distribution there are folders bin\vc100 and bin\vc100\x64. These folders are not mentioned in the README.txt at all. However, I do see "To compile Ice for C++ applications with Visual C++, you should use the Ice Visual Studio Extension." (Note: "should", not "must")

So my question comes down to this: Is using Visual C++ without Visual Studio unsupported? If I do need to use Visual Studio should I ignore making any changes to my PATH? If I am able to use Ice without Visual Studio precisely which folders need to end up in my PATH?

Thanks

Comments

• mes
    mes California
    Hi Peter,

You're right, the README could use some clarification.

As you suspect, the proper path configuration for using VC++ 2010 x64 is as follows:

set PATH=<Ice installation root directory>\bin\vc100;%PATH%
    set PATH=<Ice installation root directory>\bin\vc100\x64;%PATH%

You can use Visual C++ without Visual Studio (this is how we build Ice itself), but if you do use Visual Studio, we recommend using the Ice Visual Studio Extension as well.

Regards,
    Mark
  • pchapin
    pchapin Vermont, USA
    Thanks for the information. That helps!