Home Help Center

Forking server.

Hi!

I need to have instances of objects requested by client in separate processes. One process with object realization per client.

Can I achieve such architecture with ICE?

Is it possible solution to write an ICE server so as it starts up a new ICE server when receives a request from a new Client and then acts as ICE client of the new server dispatching requests from the particular Client to it?

Thank you in advance!
Sergey.

Comments

• marcmarc FloridaAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Marc LaukienOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: The Internet Communications Engine ZeroC Staff
    No, this is not possible. You can write user-code that forks a server, but Ice doesn't do it. See also the discussion in this thread:

http://www.zeroc.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=972
  • ivanovivanov Member
    Hello Marc!

Thank you.

But could you please answer my second question:

Is it possible solution to write a server so as it starts up a new ICE server when receives a request from a new Client and then acts as ICE client of the new server dispatching requests from the particular Client to it?

Sergey.
  • marcmarc FloridaAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Marc LaukienOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: The Internet Communications Engine ZeroC Staff
    Yes, but it's not very straightforward. The best example we have for this is Glacier (not Glacier 2).

Why do you want to do this? It is a rather untypical design choice for distributed object applications.
  • ivanovivanov Member
    I have a dynamic library that has to be instantiated for every client. I can not change the library so I am to follow this requirement.

Am I right that in the same way as GlacierStarter starts new router on demand, starter of mine can run new "server" instance and return new proxy to client?
    Originally posted by ivanov
    Am I right that in the same way as GlacierStarter starts new router on demand, starter of mine can run new "server" instance and return new proxy to client?

Yes, that's correct.