Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

TCP connection limit in WinXP SP2

Hello,

In Windows XP Service Pack 2 there's a new 'feature' that limit the amount of simultaneous incomplete outbound TCP connection to 10. If you try to connect to many PCs that arent online this limit is reached and a new event log is added: EventID 4226: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

What is your expert recommendation for this situation?

--
Best regards,
Mario

Comments

• marc
    marc Florida
    Let me suggest that you do a Google search on this topic. You will find that apparently many XP SP2 users suffer from this problem, but patches are available.

Note that this is nothing Ice specific, many other applications (such as P2P applications) run into the same problem.
  • marc wrote:
    Let me suggest that you do a Google search on this topic.
    Yes, of course Google was my first attempt (lvllord.de) ;)
    But I think this patch isn't the solution because, with future updates of Windows, 'tcpip.sys' can be overwriten so the problem can return. And, personally, I don't like to patch the OS.
    marc wrote:
    Note that this is nothing Ice specific, many other applications (such as P2P applications) run into the same problem.
    I know that this is nothing Ice specific but, as other network software, Ice suffers of this problem. Probably the solution isn't in Ice domain, but I'm looking for your technical advice with this problematic situation.

Maybe the solution can be an ICMP ping prior to make the checkedCast() call, or maybe invert the roles of client and server when posible, maybe IceStorm, etc. I don't know.

Thanks,
    Mario