Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Glacier2 service not starting on Windows XP

When trying to start the Glacier2 router as a service on Windows XP the service errors out with message:

"Could not start the glacier2 service on Local Computer"
"Error 1: Incorrect function"

I've given the service desktop privledges too.

Running as an application works fine. I have installed the glacier2router. I'm trying to start the service in the "Services" panel.

Wondering what I'm doing incorrectly.

Regards --Roland

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Roland,

I was able to reproduce this problem ... looks like a bug in Ice or Glacier2. Should be easy to fix!

Regards,
    Bernard
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hello Roland,

Sorry for the late answer. This error message actually indicates that the service failed to start for some reasons. This can happen for example if the service can't find the configuration file or the configuration file isn't readable (system services are by default started with the Local System account).

Did you check the Windows event logs (with the Windows Event Viewer tool) to see if there was any errors that could help figure out what's wrong? By default, Ice services installed as Windows services will log errors and warnings to the Windows event system.

I was able to run glacier2router as a service with the demo\Glacier2\callback demo. To register Glacier as a service I used the following command:

$ glacier2router.exe --install Glacier2 --Ice.Config=C:\Ice-2.0.0\demo\Glacier2\callback\config.glacier2

Note that you need to use an absolute path for the configuration file. In addition to this, you also need to modify the configuration file to change the relative paths into absolute paths (there's relative paths in the config.glacier2 configuration file for the IceSSL plugin configuration).

The Glacier2 service requires the session server to be up so you need to start it before starting the service:

$ sessionserver.exe --Ice.Config=config.sessionserver

Then, you should be able to start the Glacier2 service. Of course, in a real deployment, the session server would be also installed as a Windows service.

Hope this helps!

Benoit.
  • I'm just guessing but also had some problems running services where the program worked well in application mode. Generally, it's a DLL issue. Did you place all necessary DLLs in the system directory? Windows might not find them if they are only in the same directory as the service executable!

However, that's just a blind guess :)

cheers,

Stephan