Locator

What happens if the Locator Service goes down? Does the other components work?

Comments

  • mesmes CaliforniaAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Mark SpruiellOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice Developer ZeroC Staff
    Re: Locator

    Hi Diego,

    Welcome to the forum!
    Originally posted by Diego Giraldez
    What happens if the Locator Service goes down? Does the other components work?
    From the client's perspective, any proxies that were created before the locator went down will continue to work. Attempting to create new indirect proxies while the locator is down will cause an exception.

    Does that answer your question?

    - Mark
  • Is it posible to have two Locators working on different machines? In that way, if one of them goes down, the other can continue giving service, so you can get high availability.

    Best regards. Diego.
  • mesmes CaliforniaAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Mark SpruiellOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice Developer ZeroC Staff
    Originally posted by Diego Giraldez
    Is it posible to have two Locators working on different machines? In that way, if one of them goes down, the other can continue giving service, so you can get high availability.
    Yes, you can configure your applications with a locator proxy that contains multiple endpoints. If one of the endpoints is unreachable, the Ice runtime will automatically try the others. Furthermore, the Ice runtime randomizes the order of endpoints in each proxy it creates, to provide a simple form of load balancing.

    - Mark
  • This is great !!!
    What about the servers? Do they register automatically with all the locators just defining multiple endpoints in the property Ice.Default.Locator ?
  • mesmes CaliforniaAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Mark SpruiellOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice Developer ZeroC Staff
    Originally posted by Diego Giraldez
    This is great !!!
    What about the servers? Do they register automatically with all the locators just defining multiple endpoints in the property Ice.Default.Locator ?
    No. If the server's proxy for the locator contains multiple endpoints, it will behave just like any other proxy: the registration request will be sent to one of the endpoints. You would need to take additional steps to register your servers in each locator.
Sign In or Register to comment.