Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

glacier2 and icepack for sessionmanager,permissionsverifier

hi-

is it possible to run the sessionmanager and permissions verifier for Glacier2 with an IcePack IceBox?

right now i'm getting this error when setting Glacier2.PermissionsVerifier=name@adaptername in the config.

Reference.cpp:967: Ice::NoEndpointException:
no suitable endpoint available for proxy `PermissionsVerifier -t @ adaptername

is glacier2 able to use location indirection for this service?

thanks

Comments

• mes
    mes California
    Hi,

Yes, Glacier2 should be able to use an indirect proxy for the permissions verifier. Did you configure Glacier2 with the locator proxy?

Take care,
    - Mark
  • Locator now working, new error

thanks. it did look indeed like the locator was the initial problem.

however, looks like glacier doesn't want to accept it as a sessionmanager object. but the object is a direct sublass of Glacier._SessionManagerDisp (JAVA).

glacier2router: error: session manager `ConnectionManager@myrtle.ConnectionService.Connection' is invalid

any ideas?

thanks,
  • mes
    mes California
    That message means that the checkedCast failed on the session manager proxy. I suggest running the router with the following properties enabled to see if it gives you any clues:

Ice.Trace.Network=3
    Ice.Trace.Protocol=1
    Ice.Trace.Retry=2

If you're still having trouble, attach the output from the router when running with these properties. Even better would be an archive containing an example that demonstrates the problem.

- Mark
  • wow

that's some nice tracing.

i'm going to dig through for a while. i'll put an archive together if the error persists.

thanks again,

seth
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    however, looks like glacier doesn't want to accept it as a sessionmanager object. but the object is a direct sublass of Glacier._SessionManagerDisp (JAVA).

Perhaps it's just a typo... but in case it's not and if you're using Glacier2, your session manager servant should extend Glacier2._SessionManagerDisp, not Glacier._SessionManagerDisp.

Benoit.
  • not just a typo

thanks. i thought the sessions were compatible.

on another note, i was wondering how ice dealt with changing libraries for upgrading, etc. if i specifically stop a server through the admin console, can i switch out the underlying jar and restart the server with the new code? i understand part of this can be considered an implementation detail of the JVM, etc. but does ice do anything specifically to check and force reloading when a server changes its activation state from deactivated to activated?

thanks,
  • mes
    mes California
    Hi Seth,

Ice does not perform any explicit checks for changes to its run time library.

Take care,
    - Mark