Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

about IceStorm

I am puzzled by the theory of IceStorm service,could you say some words simply about it?

Comments

• matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    freshman wrote:
    I am puzzled by the theory of IceStorm service,could you say some words simply about it?

Did you look at the Ice manual? It provides information about what IceStorm is, and how to use it.

Regards, Matthew
  • Thank you very much

Yes,I did.I can use IceStorm for distributing message.But I want more information about how the IceStorm works. In other words,I want to known the theory about IceStorm. I known it is complex, but could you say some words about it?
    I am very sorry for such beg. But the work I am doing requires the theory.
    pls!
  • what's the difference about DDS and IceStorm

IceStorm and DDS are both based P/S model,what's the defference between them?
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    freshman wrote:
    IceStorm and DDS are both based P/S model,what's the defference between them?

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with DDS. I was involved with the OMG RT Notification spec which appears to have morphed into this DDS spec after I stopped being involved in the CORBA world.

Its still not clear to me exactly what you want to know about IceStorm.

Regards, Matthew
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    You should try more specific questions :)

IceStorm is a simple and efficient publish/subscribe service: a publisher sends a message to the IceStorm server (a separate server), and the IceStorm server forwards this message to a number of subscribers. IceStorm supports all the transports supported by Ice: TCP, SSL and UDP.

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Thank you very much!

I am sorry for my ambiguous description.I will try it again,hehe,pls pardon me.

I known the IceStorm server can transport messages from publisher to subscriber.
    I want to known the mechanism inner IceStorm.I suppose it is like this.
    It is a C/S model in fact.
    publisher marshaled the codes and transported them to IceStorm server,then the server transported these marshaled codes to subscriber using the servant in subscriber.
    I known it isn't so simple to IceStorm. Token on the thinking, am I right?

Thank you for your reply! I am honoured.
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    The inner workings of IceStorm are actually quite simple: the IceStorm server uses "Dynamic Ice" (see chapter 34 in the Ice book) to forward the messages from the publisher to the subscribers ... without unmarshaling and remarshaling anything.

Since Ice is open source, please have a look at the source code :) Look in particular at src/IceStorm/TopicI.cpp.

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Thank you

oh,thank you very much. It is the point I wanted. Thank goodness.