Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Problem with Interface change!

Dear Sir,

We have one ongoing project that deal with large distributed data exchange. After observing ACE, TAO, and ICE, I proposed to use ICE as the middleware. However, my boss points out that once the interface between client and servr changed, we need to regenerate stubs again and recompile our source code.

For this problem, I wonder whether there is any good solution. For clarify, I mean, once we deploy our application, and after a while, we need to change some parts of interface, how to deal with it?

Any comments are welcome.

Good luck!

Comments

• matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    JaneShang wrote:
    Dear Sir,

We have one ongoing project that deal with large distributed data exchange. After observing ACE, TAO, and ICE, I proposed to use ICE as the middleware. However, my boss points out that once the interface between client and servr changed, we need to regenerate stubs again and recompile our source code.

For this problem, I wonder whether there is any good solution. For clarify, I mean, once we deploy our application, and after a while, we need to change some parts of interface, how to deal with it?

Any comments are welcome.

Good luck!

I'm sorry, I don't understand your problem. If you change the contract between the client and the server then naturally you have to redistribute new copies of the client to interoperate with the new contract. This is nothing that is Ice specific, but rather something that is common to all distributed systems.

Perhaps if you could give more detail about what you are actually trying to do in concrete terms we could provide better assistance.

Best Regards, Matthew
  • JaneShang wrote:
    Dear Sir,

Have a look at the facets section in the Ice manual -- it discusses the versioning problem in some detail.

Cheers,

Michi.