Home Help Center

slice2cs - no output

kwaclawkwaclaw Oshawa, CanadaMember Karl WaclawekOrganization: Personal
I installed ICE 2.1.1 on Windows 2000 using the .msi install package.
However, slice2cs (and slice2java) do not produce any output
at all. They run without any error messages.

When building the demos with VS.NET 2003, generatecs fails
(pre-build event), but no specific errors mentioned.

What am I missing?

Karl

Comments

  • kwaclawkwaclaw Oshawa, CanadaMember Karl WaclawekOrganization: Personal
    More info
    kwaclaw wrote:
    I installed ICE 2.1.1 on Windows 2000 using the .msi install package.
    However, slice2cs (and slice2java) do not produce any output
    at all. They run without any error messages.

    More info which may help:
    slice2cs (or any other slice2XX) will complain about
    a missing file, but it looks as if it does not even read the file.
    For instance, I ran this command line:
    slice2cs --output-dir generate Printer.ice
    where Printer.ice was a renamed MS Word document.
    slice2cs did not complain, just returned without doing anything.

    Karl
  • marcmarc FloridaAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Marc LaukienOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: The Internet Communications Engine ZeroC Staff
    Is icecpp.exe in your PATH? This is required by all slice2xxx.
  • kwaclawkwaclaw Oshawa, CanadaMember Karl WaclawekOrganization: Personal
    marc wrote:
    Is icecpp.exe in your PATH? This is required by all slice2xxx.

    Yes, I added the <ice-installdir>\bin to my path.
    I also tried to run slice2cs directly from this directory.
    I also un- and re-installed Ice 2.1.1 (using the msi file).
  • marcmarc FloridaAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Marc LaukienOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: The Internet Communications Engine ZeroC Staff
    If you say you renamed a Word document, I assume you meant you saved it in ASCII format, and then renamed it to Printer.ice? Of course you cannot use Word files for program code.
  • kwaclawkwaclaw Oshawa, CanadaMember Karl WaclawekOrganization: Personal
    marc wrote:
    If you say you renamed a Word document, I assume you meant you saved it in ASCII format, and then renamed it to Printer.ice? Of course you cannot use Word files for program code.

    No, what I meant to say is that, even though I used a binary
    file for input, slice2cs did not complain. I expected some errors
    like "syntax invalid" or so. I tried this after I introduced some
    intentional syntax errors into the original Printer.ice file
    (from your demo) to see what slice2cs would do, if anything.

    So, it appears to me, slice2cs bails out even before it reads the file.
  • marcmarc FloridaAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Marc LaukienOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: The Internet Communications Engine ZeroC Staff
    I'm confused now. Is the bug you are reporting that slice2xxx does not print any error message if you feed it a Word or other binary files? If so, thanks for the bug report, we will add this to our bug database. However, don't expect a fix for this anytime soon, as this is not something I consider very important :)
  • kwaclawkwaclaw Oshawa, CanadaMember Karl WaclawekOrganization: Personal
    marc wrote:
    I'm confused now. Is the bug you are reporting that slice2xxx does not print any error message if you feed it a Word or other binary files? If so, thanks for the bug report, we will add this to our bug database. However, don't expect a fix for this anytime soon, as this is not something I consider very important :)

    No, my bug report is that slice2XXX does absolutely nothing.
    I can feed it any input, correct or not, and it will not create any
    output (.cs or other).

    Maybe a hint is that building the demo solution (democs)
    fails as well (on the pre-build events). The ReadMe did not
    indicate that I should set up any environment variables
    for the C# demos.
  • kwaclawkwaclaw Oshawa, CanadaMember Karl WaclawekOrganization: Personal
    More info - installed at home
    kwaclaw wrote:
    No, my bug report is that slice2XXX does absolutely nothing.
    I can feed it any input, correct or not, and it will not create any
    output (.cs or other).

    Now I installed ICE at home as well, same .msi file.
    Here it works!

    The obvious difference:
    Windows XP Pro with SP2 at home vs.
    Windows 2000 Pro at work

    Either my Win2000 install at work is somehow
    corrupt, or there are Win2000 issues with ICE.

    Then again, there could be other differences.
Sign In or Register to comment.