Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

icepack proxy binding

I am not sure from the icepack docs how I would do the following.

1.Activate and deploy servers to different machines using icepack, remotely. How can I start and stop nodes on differnet hosts from a remote machine? Can the icepack admin tool do that?

2.Bind to instances of the server directly on a given machine. We sometimes require that a specific host be chosen, and I want one node per host. So I would like icepack to give me a proxy from host foo when I ask for it explicitly, not just a proxy from a random host in the configuration.

Thanks,
George Coles

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi George,

To start servers using IcePack on a host, you need to run an IcePackNode on that host. With icepackadmin (or programmatically, using the IcePack API), you can stop an IcePackNode process; however, IcePack can't start IcePackNodes ... the IcePackNode is what IcePack uses to start processes.

For your second question, I am not sure what you're referring to:
    So I would like icepack to give me a proxy from host foo when I ask for it explicitly, not just a proxy from a random host in the configuration.

The most common lookup performed by IcePack is adapterId to actual endpoints. So far, for a given adapterId, you can only have one server providing these endpoints: IcePack does not pick between several servers, since there is only one.

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Bernard,
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I want to take advantage of icepack's features, but I also want to be able to run instances of a server on specific hosts sometimes. Can the icepack registry give me a proxy for a server that is running on a specific machine?
  • mes
    mes California
    Hi,

IcePack requires each registered object adapter to have a unique id. This means your client could use a stringified proxy of the form "objectIdentity @ AdapterOnHostXYZ" in order to communicate with a servant on host XYZ.

Would that achieve what you want?

Take care,
    - Mark
  • Using the adapter name would, do it, I think. Thanks for the suggestion.