Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

A trivial problem

hi,
I want to start the glacier2router as a service .

1) D:\Ice-2.1.2\demo\issue\Chat4>glacier2router --install OrNot ice.config=config.glacier2
2) D:\Ice-2.1.2\demo\issue\Chat4>glacier2router --start OrNot

but failed:

Service start pending.
Service failed to start.
Current state: STOPPED
Exit code: 1066
Service specific exit code: 1
Check point: 0
Wait hint: 0

What is wrong with my operations?

Thank you very much.

OrNot

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    You should provide the full path to the config file, and make sure it's readable by the SYSTEM user.

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • hi, Bernard,
    Do you mean:

D:\Ice-2.1.2\demo\issue\Chat4>glacier2router --install OrNot D:\\Ice-2.1.2\\demo
    \\issue\\Chat4\\ice.config=config.glacier2

D:\Ice-2.1.2\demo\issue\Chat4>glacier2router --start OrNot

but also failed.

Service start pending.
    Service failed to start.

I can start it as a common application so I think the confing file is readable , isn't it?
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

You need to check the configuration file permissions to ensure that it's readable by the SYSTEM user. You should also check the Windows event log with the Event Viewer application. It might contain some information on the reasons why the service isn't starting.

Benoit.
  • hi,
    I have checked the config file permissions and make sure that it is readable to administrator(I always log into my pc with Administrator and never changed the file perperties since it was downloaded. Any special considerations are needed?)

The event log:

Event source: Service Control Manager
    event ID: 7024
    User: N/A

Description: The OrNot service terminated with service-specific error 1.

BTW: If I run it as a common app., It works very well.
    D:\Ice-2.1.2\demo\issue\Chat4>glacier2router --Ice.Config=config.glacier2

Thanks .
    OrNot
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Did you also check the "Application" log in the event viewer? There should be more information there about the error.

Also note that the local system account doesn't have the same rights as an administrator, it might not be able to read the config file even if you can as an administrator. Did you try to grant read access to everyone on the configuration file? You can do this with the command line (or the Windows GUI):
       C:\> cacls config.glacier2 /G Everyone:R

I was able to run the Glacier2 router as a service using the configuration from the chat application from the Issue 4 of the newsletter. I had to do the following:
    • Start IceStorm
    • Start the chat server
    • Edit config.glacier2 and change the IceSSL.Client.CertPath and IceSSL.Server.CertPath properties to "C:\Ice-2.1.2\certs" (full paths)
    • Ensure that the "config.glacier2" file was readable by the local system account by giving it read access to everyone with "cacls config.glacier2 /G Everyone:R"
    • Register the Glacier2 service with "glacier2router --install Glacier2 --Ice.Config=C:\Ice-2.1.2\demo\chat\config.glacier2"
    • Start the Glacier2 service with "glacier2router --start Glacier2"

Hope this helps!

Benoit.
  • Thank you Benoit. The problems have been resolved following your steps. In comparison with your steps, an once not noticed error was :

:p:p
    glacier2router --install OrNot D:\\Ice-2.1.2\\demo
    \\issue\\Chat4\\ice.config=config.glacier2

should be:

:D:D
    glacier2router --install OrNot --ice.config=D:\\Ice-2.1.2\\demo\\issue\\Chat4\\config.glacier2

Thank you again. Thank you for your patience. ICE is nice not only for itself but also for you and your colleagues.

Cheers
    OrNot
  • Hi, Benoit,
    So sorry but I have to trouble you again.
    I have written a service program and run well in the mode of the console command.But it can not be started as a service when I installed and started it. The output of the system log seems like that in my previous post in this thread. What made me confused is that there isn't any application log output therefore I can not get any hints.

Service start pending.
    Service failed to start.

What did I neglect ? How can I debug it ?
    Thank you so much.
    OrNot
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    You could add some logging to your service to see where it's failing to start. You can use the Ice logger to do this (you can get a reference on the logger with the communicator->getLogger() method). You'll also need to configure the logger to log to the system event log by setting the Ice.UseEventLog property to 1.

Hope this helps,

Benoit.