Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Collocation question on .NET

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes:

Can I collocate a servant written in Visual C++ (I believe "unmanaged code" is the term in .NET) with a client written in C#, or would both have to be C# or C++? Can I create an Ice service in .NET "managed C++"?

Thanks,
Mark

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Can I collocate a servant written in Visual C++ (I believe "unmanaged code" is the term in .NET) with a client written in C#
    It depends on what you mean by "collocate" :)
    If you mean share the same process space, it's most likely feasible; but you won't be able to share the same communicator object, to take advantage of collocation optimization.
    Can I create an Ice service in .NET "managed C++"?
    We don't support managed C++, only C# and unmanaged C++. I believe a new (and significantly different) version of managed C++ is in the works ... supporting the existing managed C++ does not make much sense.

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Not that you don't know about it -- under the stewardship of such luminaries as Herb Sutter, Stanley Lippman, that ugly managed C++ has now reborn as C++/CLI. Its doing the rounds in Whidbey Beta 2. PDC in Sept 2005 should say something about its release. I am pretty sure its useless to support the older MC++ version as it will be deprecated anyway.
  • If you have a C# compiler, you can interoperate between managed C++ and C# via the Ice for .NET run time. Compile you Slice definitions with slice2cs, put the generated code into an assembly, and then have managed C++ call into that assembly as well as the Ice for .NET run time (icecs.dll).

Cheers,

Michi.