Home Help Center

Question about IceBox

OrNotOrNot Member Bin.LiOrganization: GE HealthcareProject: Enterprise solution
hi,
I know IceBox can host serveral services, but Icebox itself seems not be as a service. I mean, say, in Windows, it can not be started as a common service since its base class (c++ and java) is Application.
This is not very convenient because the icebox app. needs a console window I did not want.
There must be some considerations when designed. Could you please say more about it ?

Thanks

OrNot

Comments

• matthewmatthew NL, CanadaMember Matthew NewhookOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Internet Communications Engine ✭✭✭
    There is no particular reason why IceBox cannot be a windows service.
  • OrNotOrNot Member Bin.LiOrganization: GE HealthcareProject: Enterprise solution
    Sorry Matthrew. :confused: . Do you mean that if icebox is used, the console window is definitely showed? Or are there some ways to run a icebox as a Windows service?
  • matthewmatthew NL, CanadaMember Matthew NewhookOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Internet Communications Engine ✭✭✭
    You cannot run it directly as a service unless you modify the source. However, you might be able to use the windows service wrapper that Microsoft provides. See http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en here for details.
  • dhogandhogan Member Dirk HoganOrganization: Hewlett-PackardProject: client-server app ✭✭
    A .NET Foundation Class Library class - System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase - allows you to easily write C# code that will run as a windows service. I am attempting to start multiple instances of IceBox with different hosted service instances from a ServiceBase subclass(including IceStorm). I am planning to do so by invoking a series of .bat files which are currently used to manually start the IceBox instances - scripts that look something like

c:\ice-3.0.1\bin\icebox.exe --Ice.Config=F:\cvs_sandbox\Halo\halo\3rdGen\config\inroom\svcconfig_icestorm.config

I assume I will have to add the c:\ice-3.0.1\bin\ directory to the PATH so that all of the .dll depenencies from icebox.exe can be resolved. Do you have any other comments on such an approach?

Thanks
    Dirk