Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IceGridNode service starting on WinXP startup

Hi,

I am creating IceGrid windows service with command "icegridnode.exe --install ...". In my version result (in services) is:

"c:\Ice-3.0.0\bin/icegridnode.exe --service FerdaIceGridNode --Ice.Config=C:\_prac\proj\bin\config --IceGrid.Registry.Data=C:\_prac\proj\bin\db\registry --IceGrid.Node.Data=C:\_prac\proj\bin\db\node"

This service is starting and stopping correctly when Windows XP are running. But after Windows start up, this service is still in "starting" state and blocks other services. I have this problem on three independent windows computers and with IcePackNode my application worked on windows startup correctly.

Thank you,
Michal

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Thanks for reporting this! I'm able to reproduce the problem, it looks like IceGrid initialization of the Windows performance library fails on reboot.

I was able to work-around this problem by changing the "WMI Performance Adapter" service to start automatically instead of manually (in the "Services" control panel, select the "WMI Performance Adapter" service and open the properties dialog, then you can change the startup type from "Manual" to "Automatic").

I will look further into this to see if there's a better solution to this issue.

Benoit.
  • Thank you, but this work-around does not work for me.
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Strange, it worked for me, perhaps it's because on my machine, the WMI Performance Adapter service started first... In any case, I have found the problem and I believe I have a fix for it. I'm attaching to this post a patch containing this fix. You'll need to re-compile IceGrid from the Ice source distribution to try it.

To apply the patch to the Ice source distribution:
    $ unzip Ice-3.0.0.zip
    $ cd Ice-3.0.0
    $ patch -p0 < icegrid.patch.txt

Let me know if this doesn't work!

Benoit.