Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Facets and documentation

Hi Michi et al,

I recently saw a post on tao-users mailing list about ICE. Since then I have been studying the newly updated manual as well as reading extensive arguments for and against ACE-TAO vs ICE on the comp.soft-sys.ace. Being new to distributed programming, all I can say is that ICE does seem leaps and bounds easier to implement than Corba which is all I really care about at this time! Speed enhancements would just be frosting. :cool:

That said. After reading most of the manual it seems to gloss over the idea of "facets" which sound very intriguing for a project that I am involved. Specifically I am trying to make a graphics framework which includes a plugin architecture that is extensible. For a while I was toying with the idea of using COM's multiple interface factory model on top of ACE-TAO for versioning control. But facets seem like a natural fit for my application.

My question: is there any other documentation on this idea of facets, or is the manual going to be updated with this concept fairly soon? Frequently in the manual it refers to Chapter 17 (which doesn't really discuss implementation), and also to a XREF (presumbly example impl is to come?).

v/r
Ryan Fogarty

Comments

• marc
    marc Florida
    Hi Ryan,

A chapter about facets is about the only major chapter that's still missing in our documentation :(

It's on our todo list, but quite frankly, I can't give you an ETA yet.

But if you have specific questions about facets, then we can answer these questions here in the message board.

-- Marc
  • Ok. Thanks Marc. I will probably be posting you in the not too distant future on this.

regards,
    Ryan