Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

embedding ice in a container

We are evaluating Ice as a RPC protocol to replace a bunch of SOAP/Servlet logic we have implemented with Tomcat. Our primary interest is to replace the SOAP api layer with something that performs better.

The engineer I have asked to look at this is indicating that he doesn't see a way to embed the ice server side in a Tomcat instance and from what I read on the forums I don't see any other messages regarding Tomcat or JBoss as containers. Is this just *not* done or do we have to use the Ice server (called IceBox I think?).

So the short questions is: for multi-tiered architectures that use SOAP and Tomcat what is best practices for replacing this product stack?

Mike Wilson

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Mike,

If I understand correctly your deployment, you're using Tomcat as a Web Service container, and you have clients accessing these Web Services using SOAP.

You cannot run Ice as a "service" within a Tomcat container, and I don't see why you'd want to do that. The simplest solution in this scenario is to replace your Tomcat container and its Web services with an Ice server implemented in your favorite programming language (with or without icebox, does not matter).
    If you also need to interact with this Ice server from http clients, you would add an Ice client to your Web server. Such a client is typically written in PHP, Java, C# or Python depending on your environment and preferences.

In the future, please edit your signature as described here.

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • Thanks

Ok, I think I understand now. Strange new worlds await without a container I guess. Thanks.