Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Pluggable IceGrid GUI?

The IceGrid Admin GUI seems to offer alot of the tools that we need - starting and stopping servers, seeing which ones are running etc.

However there are some extenstions that we would like in order to be able to see extra information about the servers themselves - through a custom admin interface to the servers.

Does the Admin GUI have a pluggable architecture? Can we write extensions that will work with the Admin GUI to give extra information?

How do other people do this sort of thing? Do they write their own interface on top of the Admin slice interface? One thing we are considering here is a web based interface.

Comments

• So far as I see, there is no source code of IceGridAdminGUI contained in the current Ice3.0.0 release. The bytecode seems protected by obfuscator, also.

So I guess the GUI tool is not open.

I think the Admin slice interface is sufficient.
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    The source code is, of course, included. See the Ice for Java distribution. It is in the src/IceGrid directory.
  • :( Sorry for my ignorance and carelessness.
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Tim,

The IceGrid Admin GUI does not have a pluggable architecture; it's just a simple Swing-based Java application. You can however edit its source code to make any change/addition you like.

Regarding a Web-based "IceGrid Admin", maybe it would be possible to turn IceGrid Admin into a Java applet... we did not investigate whether this is doable or not.

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • bernard wrote:
    Regarding a Web-based "IceGrid Admin", maybe it would be possible to turn IceGrid Admin into a Java applet... we did not investigate whether this is doable or not.
    Not so concerned about an IceGrid Admin applet. More likely to write something along the lines of a servlet that talks to the IceGrid::Admin interface and perhaps an admin interface on our components to give a unified view of the system.