Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Bug in Makefiles of Blobject examples (Connections 11)

Greetings,

Today I finished reading Issue 11 of Connections and tried the example code. I believe that the two Makefiles contained in dynamic.zip are faulty. They set top_srcdir to the value of the $ICE_HOME environment variable.

However, no matter how I try to define $ICE_HOME, the make process fails. If I set ICE_HOME = /usr/share/doc/Ice-3.0.1 according to blobject(_async)/Makefile, the included config/Make.rules fails to find the directory $ICE_HOME/slice (which happens to be /usr/share/slice according to the RPM installation).

If I set ICE_HOME to /usr/share for config/Make.rules, blobject(_async)/Makefile fails, because it doesn't find $ICE_HOME/config/Make.rules in the first place.

The resolution seems to be to follow the convention of other Makefiles in associated ZIP files (e.g., the chat.zip of Issue 11) and to set top_srcdir = /usr/share/doc/Ice-3.0.1 explicitly. With this setting, "make" runs through.

Take care

Comments

• matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    Yes, sorry -- you are correct. With an RPM installation the included Makefile does not work. The correct solution is as you say.