Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Ice 3.0.1 and COM Interop

Having begun to adopt Ice for several projects requiring interfaces between C# and Java services, I am attempting to call out to a Java service from within an Excel Add-In using C#. My problem is that the Excel Add-In must be Registered for COM Interop (which is defaulted during soln creation), and after adding a reference to icecs.dll I receive the following compiler error:

"COM Interop registration failed. Could not find a type library for assembly 'icecs'."

I tried exporting a type library from icecs.dll (icecs.tbl) and including that in the run-time dir, but to no avail. Info on COM interop seems limited and I'm interested to know if anyone has any related info.

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Brian,

Did you read and try the sample code in Issue 6 of the Connections newletter?
    See http://www.zeroc.com/newsletter/issue6.pdf

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • Thank you, this was useful.

The article actually outlines an alternate way of using C# and referencing dll's from Excel, which I've used before on other projects (i.e. using custom properties to bootstrap the .Net assembly), and this approach enabled me to cleanly access the remote Java services through Ice. I had been trying to construct an Excel Add-In which, however, still has some sort of Interop problem when linking to the icecs.dll .Net assembly. C'est la vie!