Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

boost::condiition lock Problem

Hi,

To sumarize my problem let me take the printer demo example:
If i expand the code:

void
PrinterI::
printString(const string& s, const Ice::Current&)
{
cout << s << endl;
sleep(5);
}

I am able to call several clients within the sleep and all respond parallel (seeing on Hello World)
But if i replace the sleep call with a class instance which uses boost::condition wait lock I'm not able to start several client calls in parallel:

class Call
{
public:
void callme(string);
void done();
private:
boost::mutex my_mutex;
boost::condition my_con;
};

void Call::callme(string s)
{
boost::mutex::scoped_lock lock(my_mutex);
cout << s << endl;
my_con.wait(lock);

}

void Call::done()
{
my_con.notify_all();
}

void
{
Call *c = new Call();
c->callme(s);
}

The calls are executed in sequence. The second starts until the condition gets notified.
I have to use boost since the code im working on uses it.

Can someone give me a hint for solving this problem, please.

Thanks,
Mesut

Comments

• marc
    marc Florida
    I don't know anything about the boost library, but don't you block concurrent access with a boost mutex? Why do you expect operations to be executed in parallel if you mutex-protect them?

In any case, I think it would be best to post this on the boost mailing list or support forum, as we have no experience with the boost library.
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    ipek wrote:
    void
    {
    Call *c = new Call();
    c->callme(s);
    }

This code does not make sense. Your mutex and condition need to be shared by several threads to do something useful.

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • Hi,

thanks for fast reply.

It was an extracted part to visualize the problem. The Call class works with the incoming string.

So i think that
    Call *c = new Call();
    c->callme(s);

should be invoked every time if a client calls printString and the server should handle incoming request in parallel. So it should generate a new instance of Call. All instances whould running seperate and the mutex had nothing to do with each other. Or am I wrong?

Only the Ice server seems to be blocked, all the rest of my multi threaded program just runs as usual. So that can't be a boost problem.

@Bernard:
    The threads should not be synchronized. The condition lock waits for an internal signal occurrence and has nothing to do with the sync of the client calls requests.
    As I said: its an extracted problem.

The instances of Call should run separate. But only one call is handled and only on instance is generated.

Mesut
  • marc
    marc Florida
    I'm afraid there is not much we can do to help. As I wrote above, we don't know boost, and you have already confirmed that Ice calls your code in parallel if you don't add your Call class.