Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Like my boss used to say: Can you draw a picture for me

In my research to find a suitable bridge for a simple Java 2 Com bridge I found you guys. This is really cool stuff! Okay, I got my signature, I searched your forum for an answer and I looked at some of your docs... Didn't find the answer to my question. So here it is

I am building a .Net WinForm app in Csharp -- its basically nothing more than a developer tool to manage all my varying configurations for all my varying server tools I run throughout the day. For lack of a better description, It is an eclipse run tool with multiple console's if I want to see them that I can minimize to my task tray. I need something I can check a heart beat with and was going to write something that served as a little messenger between the .Net app and JVM. I don't want to bundle all this stuff together (HSQL, ANT, TOMCAT, JETTY, JMX UTILITIES, and the list goes on) with my little winform manager because its changing all the time.

1) Can I use Ice to help me build this component I need. Not help build, but provide the proxy for me to write components on each side of the API then compile as an ICE component. Did I get that right? :)

2) Can I communicate with Ice components from native API like so

-- DOT NET :confused:
> [ICE:cool:JIMMY:cool: JAMMER ] <---:eek: JVM --

Comments

• I'm not entirely sure about what you want to do. What you can do with Ice is write a server in one language and run it on one OS, and access that server from another machine in a program written in a different language and running on a different OS. This works for C++, Java, Python, C#, and Visual Basic, and it works for PHP (but PHP is supported only for the client side).

From the sounds of things, what you want is a heart beat from your C# application to a Java app. If so, Ice should do the job nicely, and with minimal programming effort.

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Thanks Michi,

I think your right... The deeper I read into your documents - the more my brainfreeze is thawing. I am beginning to see where and how you tap into the power of Ice... I'm thinking I can do more than just listen for a heart beat... There all kinds of areas I can exploit. I think I am going to give Ice a try for this -- maybe stretch it a litle further :rolleyes: .

From what I have learned, it seems like IceBox and IceStorm are the areas I should focus on. I'll let you know how it goes