Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IceE latency time

Hallo,
I just finish running IceE latency example between 2 computers (one is server, the other one is client). Average time for 10 ping in Ice is 1.221ms. The average time for 10 ping in linux is just 0.12ms.
How come the IceE ping is so much higher than normal ping?
*p/s: I am using RedHat 9.

Comments

• I am using RedHat9, IceE 1.1.0, my code in C++.
    Hardware : Pentium 4 2.66, 512 ram.
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

It's not clear from your post what you compared. If you compared Ice and Ice-E, which Ice version did you use? Were the 2 machines Linux machines with the spec you mentioned in your second post? Which test did you use, the demo/Ice/latency and demo/IceE/latency demos? Also, what kind of network connects the 2 machines?

Ice-E latency should in theory be faster than Ice, however, both might have about the same latency over a slow network. That is, both runtime will spend most of the time waiting for the network (and the time spent by the runtime to send a request is small compared to this).

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • thanks benoit.

both pc with pentium 4 2.66, 512 ram, red hat 9.0.
    both pc are connected with class C network.
    i am running on IceE 1.1.0. and i am comparing the latency with the ping function which is build in by red hat.
    i run the /demo/IceE/latency which come with IceE.
    i attach the screenshot with this post.
  • marc
    marc Florida
    Two issues:
    • You shouldn't run the test with only 10 pings. In such case, you measure mainly the time it initially takes to establish a connection.
    • Whenever you run a performance test, you should use an optimized version of Ice or Ice-E, and compile your own code with optimization, too (i.e., use -O, not -g).
  • thanks marc.
    i try with 100 ping and now ice is faster.