Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Controlling clientside port

We have the usual setup where our client may be behind firewall A, and our server is located behind firewall B. Currently this is handled quite elegantly using the Glacier2 router, where the client opens a bidirectional connection to a forwarded port in firewall B published by the Glacier2 router.

So far so good.

This work just fine if firewall A allows outgoing connections. But what do I do if I want to control the port used by my client? It seems that it ignores the Endpoint configuration, but I may be missing something.

mvh

NHB

Comments

• marc
    marc Florida
    The endpoint contains the server port number. This has nothing to do with the port the client uses for the outgoing connection. This port is chosen by the operating system.

In your scenario, if firewall A does not allow outgoing connections, then there is simply no way a client behind that firewall can communicate with a server outside this firewall.
  • marc wrote:
    The endpoint contains the server port number. This has nothing to do with the port the client uses for the outgoing connection. This port is chosen by the operating system.

Well I sort of knew that Endpoints where for server ports, it was just the only thing I could think of fiddling with. I assume there is no way to affect the choice of port for the outgoing connection ? Or at least not via Ice.
    marc wrote:
    In your scenario, if firewall A does not allow outgoing connections, then there is simply no way a client behind that firewall can communicate with a server outside this firewall.

Ok. I'll have to look further into what that firewall does and does not allow. Unfortunately I'm not the one with the problem, but someone else needs to use our client to connect to our server, and he seems to have run into a firewall problem.
  • marc
    marc Florida
    Well I sort of knew that Endpoints where for server ports, it was just the only thing I could think of fiddling with. I assume there is no way to affect the choice of port for the outgoing connection ? Or at least not via Ice.

This is correct, Ice does not have any manual configuration options for this port.