Home Help Center

null sequence in C#

Hi,

I want to use sequence to send optional data. The idea is to pass null if a parameter is not needed

I made following tests using C#

module testOptional {

sequence<bool> boolSequence;
["clr:collection"] sequence<bool> boolCollectionSequence;

class DataClass {
boolCollectionSequence boolCollOpt;
boolSequence boolSeqOpt;
};

struct DataStruct {
boolCollectionSequence boolCollOpt;
boolSequence boolSeqOpt;
};

interface testOpt {
void fSeq(boolSequence value);
void fColl(boolCollectionSequence value);
void fClass(DataClass value);
void fStruct(DataStruct value);
};
};

1) On the client side I do fSeq(null), but the server receive an empty array bool[0] ?

Is this expected ? If yes, does it not mean to much overhead transmitting a empty array or transmitting a null array but instantiate a empty array on the server side

2) I have tried to use other techniques for transmitting null sequence each time I get an error on the client side

fColl(null)
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at testOptional.testOptDelM_.fColl(boolCollectionSequence value, Context context__) in C:\SydIceInterface\cs\testOptional.cs:line 1198
at testOptional.testOptPrxHelper.fColl(boolCollectionSequence value, Context context__) in C:\SydIceInterface\cs\testOptional.cs:line 908
at testOptional.testOptPrxHelper.fColl(boolCollectionSequence value) in C:\SydIceInterface\cs\testOptional.cs:line 896
at IceTimeClient.Class1.run(String[] args) in C:\IceTimeClient\Class1.cs:line 36

fClass(new DataClass())
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at testOptional.DataClass.write__(BasicStream os__) in C:\SydIceInterface\cs\testOptional.cs:line 471
at IceInternal.BasicStream.writeInstance(Object v, Int32 index)
at IceInternal.BasicStream.writePendingObjects()
at testOptional.testOptDelM_.fClass(DataClass value, Context context__) in C:\SydIceInterface\cs\testOptional.cs:line 1157
at testOptional.testOptPrxHelper.fClass(DataClass value, Context context__) in C:\SydIceInterface\cs\testOptional.cs:line 880
at testOptional.testOptPrxHelper.fClass(DataClass value) in C:\SydIceInterface\cs\testOptional.cs:line 868
at IceTimeClient.Class1.run(String[] args) in C:\IceTimeClient\Class1.cs:line 46

fStruct(new DataStruct())
at testOptional.DataStruct.write__(BasicStream os__) in C:\SydIceInterface\cs\testOptional.cs:line 622
at testOptional.testOptDelM_.fStruct(DataStruct value, Context context__) in C:\SydIceInterface\cs\testOptional.cs:line 1280
at testOptional.testOptPrxHelper.fStruct(DataStruct value, Context context__) in C:\SydIceInterface\cs\testOptional.cs:line 964
at testOptional.testOptPrxHelper.fStruct(DataStruct value) in C:\SydIceInterface\cs\testOptional.cs:line 952
at IceTimeClient.Class1.run(String[] args) in C:\IceTimeClient\Class1.cs:line 55

Thank you for your help

Comments

• benoitbenoit Rennes, FranceAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Benoit FoucherOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice ZeroC Staff
    Hi Christian,

The Ice type system doesn't make any differences between a "null" sequence and an empty sequence. Being able to pass a null sequence in C# as a parameter of an Ice operation is just a convenience and is the same as passing an empty sequence. This is explained in the C# client side language mapping in the Ice manual, see the section "Null parameters" in section 14.12.2.

I don't think you should get these System.NullReferenceException though (the Ice runtime should consider the null reference as an empty sequence). I'll discuss this with our C# expert!

The best way to send an optional sequence is to encapsulate the sequence in a class (like your DataClass):
    sequence<bool> boolSequence;
    class OptionalSequence
    {
         boolSequence seq;
    }; 

interface testOpt
    {
        void opValue(OptionalSequence seq);
    };

To send a null sequence, you simply need to pass a null reference for the seq parameter: opValue(null).

Let us know if you need more information!

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • chris92chris92 Member
    Hi Benoit,

Thank you very much for your quick response. I was looking for my response in the slice language documentation instead of C# mapping doc.

In that case I have another question does the sending of an empty array implies a bigger message length than sending a null ?
  • benoitbenoit Rennes, FranceAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Benoit FoucherOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice ZeroC Staff
    Hi,

No, an empty sequence (1 byte to encode the 0 size value) will actually be smaller to send than a null class pointer (4 bytes). This is documented in the Ice protocol chapter (Ch. 33) of the Ice manual.

Let us know if you need more information!

Cheers,
    Benoit.