Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

broadcast / multicast location service?

hi,

I'm building a distributed system in which I'd like nodes to find each other without specifying any fixed unicast address (host:port).

The IceGrid registry gets me partway there, in that the nodes only need to know one address.

But I'd like to be able to start up the registry (for example) on any host, and have it listen for broadcast or multicast datagrams from other nodes to initiate the connection for location service. Jini's location service works like this.

I tried a few different ways, but haven't found an endpoint syntax that made this work. Is it possible to do with Ice?

thanks,
brian.

Comments

• benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi Brian,

And welcome to the forums! Could you please set your signature as described in this [thread=1697]thread[/thread]?

Thanks,
    Benoit.
  • Ok, done.

If you require that information from people, why not require it during registration?
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    We currently don't support any discovery mechanism to automatically discover the location service. This has been discussed few times here on the forums, see [thread=2425]this thread[/thread] for instance.

I don't know if it's possible to require setting the signature during the registration, I'll ask!

Cheers,
    Benoit.