Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

uuid.h not found

Hi guys,

well, I get as far as compiling the third file before it crashes:
c++ -c -I../../include -g -ftemplate-depth-128 -fPIC -Wall Exception.cpp
c++ -c -I../../include -g -ftemplate-depth-128 -fPIC -Wall Unicode.cpp
c++ -c -I../../include -g -ftemplate-depth-128 -fPIC -Wall UUID.cpp
UUID.cpp:23:26: uuid/uuid.h: No such file or directory

Your install notes say that the UUID stuff is included with the
e2fsprogs package, which should be installed on every Linux
box. Mine seems to be a bit odd :-(

My Mandrake box has /usr/include/linux/xfs_support/uuid.h but
the Debian box on which I am building Ice does not seem to have
such a file. I tried installing e2fsprogs but apt-get says that it is
already installed. I have utilities like e2fsck, mke2fs etc, are
these part of the e2fsprogs package? Do I need some sort of
e2fsprogs-dev package to get the headers and library?

best regards,

Bruce Fountain

Comments

• Hi Bruce,

You need the "e2fsprogs-devel" RPM. "e2fsprogs" only contains the executables, "e2fsprogs-devel" contains the headers.

It's unfortunate that the UUID routines were packaged together with the e2fs filesystem :(

-- Marc
  • Hi Marc and crew!

Long time no hear etc, etc. I've been wondering what you were all up to :)

You need the "e2fsprogs-devel"

I'm seeing this error too. I got e2fsprogs from http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net, but it doesn't seem to install uuid.h anywhere sensible. This file does appear in the source tree, though.

Is there some canonical way to tell the Ice build system where to look for the uuid.h header? Yes I could hack Make.rules "below this line" as it were, but that just seems like the wrong thing to be doing.

I'm using SuSE 8.0, gcc 3.2.1. Yes, I could dig out the *-devel.rpm file from wherever, but I'm not really a big fan of RPMs, and I feel I should be able to build e2fsprog myself!
  • Hi Derek,

Good to hear from you again!
    Originally posted by dthomson

Is there some canonical way to tell the Ice build system where to look for the uuid.h header? Yes I could hack Make.rules "below this line" as it were, but that just seems like the wrong thing to be doing.

I'm afraid that's the only option. I guess we should add an "official" way for doing this...
  • I thought you all must have dropped of this face of the Earth for a while there ... I should have known you were all doing something interesting "real quiet like"!

I'm afraid that's the only option. I guess we should add an "official" way for doing this...

It would be nice, for those anti-RPM luddites like myself :) I'll tell you what - I'll make it work against the e2fsprogs source distro and send you the Make.rules file I end up with.

I don't have time to do anything more helpful, I'm rather busy :(
  • Originally posted by marc
    Hi Bruce,

You need the "e2fsprogs-devel" RPM. "e2fsprogs" only contains the executables, "e2fsprogs-devel" contains the headers.

It's unfortunate that the UUID routines were packaged together with the e2fs filesystem :(

-- Marc

For those like myself who are using debian, what you want is:

apt-get install uuid-dev

... so I guess it has been split out of the e2fs packages for debian anyway.

Bruce Fountain
  • Originally posted by Bruce

apt-get install uuid-dev

Bruce Fountain

Thanks muchly for that Bruce, that's good to know!

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Originally posted by Bruce

apt-get install uuid-dev

Bruce Fountain

I have just built e2fs on Solaris so I can have uuid on Solaris for Ice. I had to make several code changes to e2fs to get it to build. I told the author and also asked that the UUID code be split out officially. Let's see what happens.

-apm