Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

A couple of random buildsystem thoughts

I've got some custom patches I use on the Ice build system in order to make it run happier with the way we do things. I'm going to list the issues here and see if any of them might be good to incorporate back into Ice mainline. Most of these applied to 3.1 and still to 3.2 (some are new).

1) in config/Make.rules:

the line "ifeq ($(mkdir),)" in which the mkdir command is defined, it would be nice if it was defined as "mkdir -p". If you go about trying to change any of the other directories in the build system, any nested directories that you might create need to have mkdir -p

2) I think install_schemadir might not be needed anymore

3) The files installed in $(prefix)/config - would be nice if they were put in a new target of install_configdir so that the install location could be better defined.

4) To keep from having to build the test suite, I remove "test" from the SUBDIRS in Makefile and add this line to the test target:

@( cd test && $(MAKE) ) || exit 1

That way I don't have to build the test sources unless I explicitly want to run the tests

5) I also remove the demo target from SUBDIRS since I may not want to explicitly build it when just doing a "make"

Anyway, a few minor fixes you might want to consider.

Caleb

Comments

• Thanks for the detailed feeback, Caleb, we'll have a look at which of your suggestions we can incorporate into the release.

Cheers,

Michi.