Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Mac OS-X Issue

I installed the Mac OS-X binaries for 3.1.1 because that's what our project is using. I am having an issue where our build is finding ppc (powerpc) in the dynamic libraries and my machine is a macbook pro Intel.

Can anything be tweaked outside of building everything by hand?

Here's some console output of the error.

david-whitehursts-computer:~/Documents/workspace-dme/trunk/dme/omero/components/blitz/src/cpp davidwhitehurst$ make
/bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CXX --mode=link g++ -O0 -Wall -g -O2 -L/opt/Ice-3.1.1/lib -L/sw/lib -o OMERO.demo main.o libOMERO_client.la -lstdc++ -lIce -lIceUtil -lSlice -lGlacier2
g++ -O0 -Wall -g -O2 -o .libs/OMERO.demo main.o -Wl,-bind_at_load -L/opt/Ice-3.1.1/lib -L/sw/lib ./.libs/libOMERO_client.dylib /Users/davidwhitehurst/Documents/workspace-dme/trunk/dme/omero/components/blitz/src/cpp/.libs/libOMERO_common.dylib -lstdc++ -lIce -lIceUtil -lSlice -lGlacier2
/usr/bin/ld: warning /opt/Ice-3.1.1/lib/libIce.dylib cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7) for specified -arch flag: i386 (file not loaded)
/usr/bin/ld: warning /opt/Ice-3.1.1/lib/libIceUtil.dylib cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7) for specified -arch flag: i386 (file not loaded)
/usr/bin/ld: warning /opt/Ice-3.1.1/lib/libSlice.dylib cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7) for specified -arch flag: i386 (file not loaded)
/usr/bin/ld: warning /opt/Ice-3.1.1/lib/libGlacier2.dylib cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7) for specified -arch flag: i386 (file not loaded)
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
IceInternal::FactoryTable::FactoryTable()
IceInternal::FactoryTable::~FactoryTable()
IceInternal::GCRecMutexInit::GCRecMutexInit()
IceInternal::GCRecMutexInit::~GCRecMutexInit()
IceInternal::GCShared::GCShared()
IceUtil::NullHandleException::NullHandleException(char const*, int)
IceUtil::Exception::Exception()
IceUtil::Exception::~Exception()
IceUtil::operator<<(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&, IceUtil::Exception const&)
IceProxy::Ice::Object::__defaultContext() const
typeinfo for IceUtil::NullHandleException
typeinfo for IceUtil::Exception
vtable for IceInternal::GCShared
vtable for Ice::UserException
vtable for Ice::AdapterNotFoundException
vtable for Ice::Object
vtable for IceUtil::NullHandleException
vtable for Glacier2::PermissionDeniedException
vtable for Glacier2::CannotCreateSessionException
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [OMERO.demo] Error 1
david-whitehursts-computer:~/Documents/workspace-dme/trunk/dme/omero/components/blitz/src/cpp davidwhitehurst$

I am trying to escape having to build all the third party and ICE stuff.

Thanks,

David

Comments

• Update

This is not a powerpc issue. My mac is intel. Someone replied to my personal mail saying that we (ZeroC) don't support powerpc. Read the post a little more closely, Marc.

David
  • marc
    marc Florida
    Right, that's why I deleted my post.
  • My guess ...

My guess is that the pre-built binaries somehow conflict with 10.x.x version of OS-X I have. I did a gcc -v today and it shows:

david-whitehursts-computer:/opt/Ice-3.1.1 davidwhitehurst$ gcc -v
    Using built-in specs.
    Target: i686-apple-darwin8
    Configured with: /private/var/tmp/gcc/gcc-5363.obj~28/src/configure --disable-checking -enable-werror --prefix=/usr --mandir=/share/man --enable-languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++ --program-transform-name=/^[cg][^.-]*$/s/$/-4.0/ --with-gxx-include-dir=/include/c++/4.0.0 --with-slibdir=/usr/lib --build=powerpc-apple-darwin8 --with-arch=nocona --with-tune=generic --program-prefix= --host=i686-apple-darwin8 --target=i686-apple-darwin8
    Thread model: posix
    gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5363)
    david-whitehursts-computer:/opt/Ice-3.1.1 davidwhitehurst$

I don't understand the --build=powerpc-apple-darwin8 in the output? Doesn't make sense. I tried autogen.sh --with-ice=$ICE_HOME --build=i686-apple-darwin8 prior to make slice and make, but it didn't work.

David
  • bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    In Ice 3.1.x and before, the only architecture supported on Mac OS X was PowerPC. In 3.2.0, the only architecture supported on Mac OS X is Intel x86.

So, if you want to run Ice on a Macbook Pro, you should upgrade to Ice 3.2.0. Maybe you could build Ice 3.1.1 on Mac/Intel, but we never supported this combination.

Also note that we (ZeroC) only provide free support on these forums for the latest Ice version; this could be another incentive to upgrade to 3.2!

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • Mucho thanks

Bernard:

Thanks. I'm new to the our project, but our senior guy keeps telling me not to upgrade, yet, our user community consists of biologists and they are all sporting nice shiny new MacBook pros. I'm using 3.2.0 and some diplomacy on Monday.

Thank you, this helps a great deal.

David