Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Dynamic Ice for Python

I am trying to design an application that can dynamically invoke operations on a server, and the catch is that the server could be written in C++ or Python. The problem is that Ice for Python doesn't support ice_invoke().

If I knew which language the server were written in then I could either call ice_invoke("op", ...) for C++, or, in the case of Python, I could just send a string and do eval("op(...)") on the server. I could have an API that allows me to ask the server in which language it is implemented, but that seems really ugly. Any thought on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Edward

Comments

• mes
    mes California
    Hi,

It's not clear to me why your client needs to know in which language the server is implemented. A client can use ice_invoke to send a request to any server. Furthermore, the client's use of Dynamic Ice does not imply that the server must also use Dynamic Ice.

Take care,
    - Mark
  • mes
    mes California
    Perhaps you're referring to the fact that Dynamic Ice is not available for use in a Python client? If so, it's on our TODO list, but it isn't a top priority. If you'd like to have the capability sooner rather than later, contact us at info@zeroc.com to discuss sponsoring the new feature.

Take care,
    - Mark
  • Hi Mark,

I think you have answered my question and solved my problem. I only need to use ice_invoke() on the client side, and fortunately that part can be written in C++.

Thanks,
    Edward