Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Out of Memory Error?

Hi,

I'm running Ice 3.2.0 on Fedora with PHP 5. I got PHP to see Ice so now I want to compile an Ice server (using the Java 'hello' server) so I can test the 'hello' PHP script. I used Yum to install Ice.

The strange thing is, when I compile the 'hello' server, it returns this error:
Buildfile: build.xml

config-init:

init:

generate:
[slice2java] skipping Hello.ice

compile:

BUILD FAILED
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Total time: 2 minutes 3 seconds

My Java version is:

java version "1.5.0_08"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_08-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_08-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

I already tried modifying the build.xml file to include:
fork="true" memoryinitialsize="256m" memorymaximumsize="512m"

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thank you,

-Rob.

Comments

• bernard
    bernard Jupiter, FL
    Hi Rob,

Which Ice distribution did you install on your Fedora system? We only provide a 'yum' distribution for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 U4, and I doubt this distribution works properly on any Fedora core version.

So, my first recommendation is to build Ice-for-C++ from sources on your system; this will create slice2java (a program written in C++), and much more.

Then, there is no need to change any ant setting to build the demos. If the demo build still fails with a properly build slice2java, try to run ant as 'ant -v' to to get more information on this failure.

Best regards,
    Bernard
  • bernard wrote: »
    Which Ice distribution did you install on your Fedora system? We only provide a 'yum' distribution for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 U4, and I doubt this distribution works properly on any Fedora core version.

If you're using FC6, you might want to check out my unofficial source RPMs which I'm trying to make official. You can follow the progress and get links to the latest versions at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=234612
    If you're not sure about building RPMs, essentially you need to do "rpmbuild --rebuild <filename>.src.rpm"; google "rpmbuild" and you'll get more specific information.

MEF