Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Caught you!

"Teach Yourself Linux in 10 Minutes" ?

how about:

"IceGrid in 10 Minutes" or "Glacier2 in 10 Minutes"

;)

Comments

• I suffer from multiple personality disorder...

See the introduction to "Glacier2 in 10 Minutes" in Issue 22 of Connections :)

Cheers,

Michi.
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    Larry, your project sounds very familiar :) Did you look in connections at the couple of articles I wrote on this topic?
  • My IceEncoder

I have seen the encoder example in the documentation which got me most of the way and with your timely help became a functioning system some time back. I am using a Cray XD1 which has 6 blades each running a custom SUSE Enterprise Linux. Each blade has two dual core Opterons. Four blades are configured for Ice computing. This is one machine and security within the machine is not an issue. The Cray also has mechanisms for distributing identical code to all the "production" blades. My research project is IceEncoder which is a JPEG2000 encoder wrapped with Ice. It is encoding Digital Cinema resolution images (2048x1080 or 4096x2160) which can be ~50MB in size. With this many processors I/O is the limiting factor. The client sends an asynchronous encoding request (one per frame) to each server and waits... When a server finishes it is assigned another frame. This was fine until the development of the Variable Bit Rate encoder which requires a sequence of frames to work on. I need to give one request and receive multiple notifications (one per frame). Another problem is I/O. The base node controls the attached disk system but exports the files via NFS. I wish to tap the 96 GB/sec non blocking backplane switch to transfer the data directly to each server. I have read your articles on passing files and plan to implement an Ice file server to do this.
    Thanks, Larry
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    Sounds like an interesting project! If you haven't already I recommend reading my articles in issue 18 & 19 where I expanded further on the encoder example in the Ice manual.
  • I am very interested in this topic
    I am trying to design a distributed MPEG4/H264 encoding project based on ICE
  • JPEG2000 encoder

My IceEncoder is using JPEG2000 and has different requirements than MPEG4. Every frame is encoded separately from each other. This allowed a simple "Server encode this frame and tell me when you are done". MPEG4 would require being passed a sequence, and if all you cared about was the completion of the sequence then you could do a similar approach. If you want per frame statistics and could wait to the end then that would work also, but if you want progress notifications while the sequence is being encoded...