Problem with IceBox 3.2.0?

dormantdemondormantdemon James MoffetOrganization: EWAProject: FPS Serious GameMember
I have been trying to set up an IceBox service based on the examples provided in Ice 3.2.0 democs (C#).

I replaced all the "Hello" demo code with my own code and have made sure that I am following the example provided in democs/IceBox/hello.

When I start the icebox service with:

iceboxnet --Ice.Config=config.icebox

I get the following error:

C:\dev\GGE\GGE\AutomatonFactoryService>iceboxnet --Ice.Config=config.icebox
iceboxnet.exe: error: IceBox.FailureException: FailureException
reason = "ServiceManager: unable to load service 'AutomatonFactoryService.dll:AutomatonFactoryServiceI': InvalidCastException to Ice.PluginFactory"
at ServiceManagerI.startService(String service, String entryPoint, String[] args) in c:\src\vc80\stage\IceCS-3.1.0\src\IceBox\ServiceManagerI.cs:line 303
at ServiceManagerI.load(String name, String value) in c:\src\vc80\stage\IceCS-3.1.0\src\IceBox\ServiceManagerI.cs:line 218
at ServiceManagerI.run() in c:\src\vc80\stage\IceCS-3.1.0\src\IceBox\ServiceManagerI.cs:line 105
Caused by: System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'AutomatonFactoryServiceI' to type 'IceBox.Service'.
at ServiceManagerI.startService(String service, String entryPoint, String[] args) in c:\src\vc80\stage\IceCS-3.1.0\src\IceBox\ServiceManagerI.cs:line 297

Where my config file looks like:

IceBox.InstanceName=ServiceIceBox
IceBox.ServiceManager.Endpoints=tcp -p 9998

IceBox.Service.AutomatonFactory=AutomatonFactoryService.dll:AutomatonFactoryServiceI --Ice.Config=config.service

Ice.Warn.Connections=1

After going through the example and my code many many times, I decided to see if the example produced the same results. I cut all the SSL stuff out of the config files for the "hello" demo and voila! Same problem.

C:\dev\Ice-3.2.0\democs\IceBox\hello>iceboxnet --Ice.Config=config.icebox
iceboxnet.exe: error: IceBox.FailureException: FailureException
reason = "ServiceManager: unable to load service 'helloservice.dll:HelloServiceI': InvalidCastException to Ice.PluginFactory"
at ServiceManagerI.startService(String service, String entryPoint, String[] args) in c:\src\vc80\stage\IceCS-3.1.0\src\IceBox\ServiceManagerI.cs:line 303
at ServiceManagerI.load(String name, String value) in c:\src\vc80\stage\IceCS-3.1.0\src\IceBox\ServiceManagerI.cs:line 218
at ServiceManagerI.run() in c:\src\vc80\stage\IceCS-3.1.0\src\IceBox\ServiceManagerI.cs:line 105
Caused by: System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'HelloServiceI' to type 'IceBox.Service'.
at ServiceManagerI.startService(String service, String entryPoint, String[] args) in c:\src\vc80\stage\IceCS-3.1.0\src\IceBox\ServiceManagerI.cs:line 297

Note how the 3.2.0 code is returning an error referencing 3.1.0 (related?)

I have reluctantly decided to post here knowing full well that the problem is probably on my end... but I am stuck and need a sanity check

Comments

• dormantdemondormantdemon James MoffetOrganization: EWAProject: FPS Serious GameMember
    More Info

The problem listed above occured on/under:

Windows XP service Pack 2
    HP 2.0 Ghz Pentium M with 1 GB RAM
    Visual Studio 2005 Professional
  • mesmes CaliforniaMark SpruiellOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice DeveloperAdministrators, ZeroC Staff ZeroC Staff
    Hi,

My guess is that the iceboxnet executable in your PATH is actually from Ice 3.1.0. Have you checked that?

Take care,
    - Mark
  • dormantdemondormantdemon James MoffetOrganization: EWAProject: FPS Serious GameMember
    Multiple Ice Versions

Well... yes... I had two versions of Ice installed and while my ICE_HOME and ICE_PATH environment variables were set to 3.2.0, my PATH contained 3.1.0.

PEBCAK (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard)

By Fixing that, rebooting, and rebuilding everything my program now works.

Thanks!