Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Slow Connections

I am try to use Ice over a slow connection. It is a wireless connection that allows about 100kb/s or less. I have going through a Glacier2 Router and I have compression turned on, I see that the messages are compressed in the router output.

My client application is a Qt 4.3.x application that runs under Windows and my servers run under Linux. The problem I am having is that one of the 2 topics I am subscribed to stops publishing the slow connection. I get the data fine on faster networks but on the slow network it runs for a while then stops. I see the packets in the Glacier2 output, then one of them stops. The one that stops has small messages that are sent frequently and the one the continues has large amounts of data.

How can I maintain this connection?

Tim

Comments

• matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    How can I maintain this connection?

Why is the connection being dropped? If it is expected to go up & down then you need to add some application code to re-establish the glacier2 session if the connection is dropped. If it is expected not to go down then you should work out why its going down and fix that problem.
  • I dropped the size of my packets and the connection stays alive. I am not sure that I was referring to that properly. I was no longer subscribed. It works now with the large packet drop in size fro 600K to 100K.

Tim
  • matthew
    matthew NL, Canada
    Sounds to me like you were getting a timeout when sending the data. The most likely candidate is IceStorm.Send.Timeout which defaults to 60 seconds. If its expected for it to take more than 60 seconds to forward an event to a subscriber then you need to bump this timeout.
  • matthew wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you were getting a timeout when sending the data. The most likely candidate is IceStorm.Send.Timeout which defaults to 60 seconds. If its expected for it to take more than 60 seconds to forward an event to a subscriber then you need to bump this timeout.

The delay was my problem. I was looking to be much faster that 60 seconds.

Thanks for the reply.