Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IceBox as Daemon

xdm
xdm La Coruña, Spain
Hellow ZeroC

There are same facility in Ice to run IceBox as a unix daemon

Comments

• Running IceBox as a daemon

This thread's pretty old and un-answered, but I wonder if there's a way to do this? In particular, I'd like to run IceStorm as a daemon. I saw in the manual that this is possible for IceGrid and IcePatch, but no mention for IceStorm...
  • benoit
    benoit Rennes, France
    Hi,

Support for running IceBox as a unix daemon or Windows service has been added for the next Ice release!

Cheers,
    Benoit.
  • Excellent, that was easy!
  • Benoit,

Do you guys have any time-frame for the next release (eg weeks vs months)? I'm wondering how much to struggle setting with trying to get icebox running permanently now, versus waiting for the next release when things should be easier.

Searching the forums, I notice that someone asks this question about pretty-much every release. Would it perhaps make sense to advertise your release plans?

Cheers,

Alex
  • We do a release when enough worthwhile improvements have accumulated to make it worth the effort. Doing a release is a lot of work for us--getting everything packaged and tested isn't a trivial exercise.

If we publish release schedules and stick to them, chances are that you'll get a "so what?" release that only contains trivial improvements. Or, alternatively, we miss the published date and then people are disappointed at the late release.

The way things are, releases happen when they happen, and no-one is disappointed :)
  • As far as I know, the java version IceBox can be run as service or daemon with the help of the java service wrapper . http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/

We are using it and it works well. Hope it can help you for the time being.:)