Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

IcePy-3.2.1: multiple python versions

Hi,

I've tried to compile ICE for Ubuntu distribution of GNU/Linux.
I had multiple python sources installed and run in some conflict (using include of python2.4 with python runtime 2.5).

I did the attach modification. It's not robust because it doesn't check the version number, but at least it works in the case you use the higher python version available on the machine :).

Hope this help! At least it show a problem if it doesn't give a perfect solution ;)

Btw, I'm a ICE newby, and this is my first message on this forum so ... hello everybody and sorry if the patch is not in the expected format.

Comments

• khigia wrote: »
    I've tried to compile ICE for Ubuntu distribution of GNU/Linux. I had multiple python sources installed and run in some conflict (using include of python2.4 with python runtime 2.5).
    From my own experience of compiling and using Ice (C++, Java, Python, Ruby) on OpenSUSE 10.0 Linux, I know that this can be a worthwhile endeavor (I learned a lot from hacking ice.spec).

However, when OpenSUSE 10.3 quit to work properly on my computer, I switched to Kubuntu 7.10 two months ago and am extremely happy that "universe/devel" provides a full set of packages of Ice and its diverse language mappings (some minor configuration glitches were quite easy to fix).

Who would have thought that I (of all persons) would enjoy running an IceCS client on a Linux box (with the aid of the mono runtime) talking to an IcePython server on a Windows box (ActivePython 2.5.1.1).

Ah, apart from this praise I can't be of help with your problem, sorry. ;)

Take care,
    Andreas
  • khigia wrote: »
    I've tried to compile ICE for Ubuntu distribution of GNU/Linux.
    I had multiple python sources installed and run in some conflict (using include of python2.4 with python runtime 2.5).

Debian (and thus Ubuntu) already compiles and distributes IcePy-3.2.1 for all available python versions.

If you want to compile it yourself: apt-build install python-zeroc-ice

Selecting the last version is just as bad as selecting any other installed version. If you have several python versions installed it is because you use them all. When compiling the original ZeroC distribution you just need to select which version you want: make PYTHON_VERSION=python2.5

Regards,
    F. Moya