Home Help Center

How to load plugins in sles10?

g00fyg00fy Member SalvaniaOrganization: SalvaniaProject: Database systems ✭✭
Hi,

I have created an application which loads plugins. Those plugins reside inside the main executable it's directory.

On Windows I can load them no problem... But on sles10, I end up with the message "No such file or directory".

for example in the config I have: "Ice.Plugin.Db=mydb:create"

In the filesystem I have a "libmydb.so"

The (very weird) thing is that when I wrote a program:
int main()
{
  void * hdn = dlopen("/tmp/libmydb.so", RTLD_LAZY);
}

That "hdn" contains "NULL". And the dlerror() message says it cannot find the file. When I copy the .so 's to /usr/local/lib & run ldconfig everything works fine again... But that's not exactly what I want to do ;-)

So how could I make my program run with plugins in the local directory?

Thanks for any advise!

Comments

• mesmes CaliforniaAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Mark SpruiellOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice Developer ZeroC Staff
    Hi,

dlopen looks for the shared library in the library search path. If the library is in your current directory, you should have "." in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH, such as

$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Hope that helps,
    - Mark
  • g00fyg00fy Member SalvaniaOrganization: SalvaniaProject: Database systems ✭✭
    That helped indeed ;).

But ain't there a way to say inside the config to load "./libmydb.so" (for example if you detect a "/", then it won't construct a library name)?
  • mesmes CaliforniaAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Mark SpruiellOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice Developer ZeroC Staff
    Hi,

At present Ice's plugin loading mechanism doesn't support complete filenames; it assumes you're always using the "portable" syntax.

Take care,
    - Mark