Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

add subscriber listing to icestormadmin

I've been debugging some icestorm stuff here, so I whipped up this patch to add subscriber-listing capability to icestormadmin.

From running the clock demo with two subscriber processes:
>>> subscribers time
time
        74887C4F-1461-4C58-9213-555493E87FCE
        3B2131F1-8AAC-4BD2-8AC2-CB1BD48724E4

I haven't included the bison/flex-generated files, since I'm using a different version from that used to generate Ice 1.2.0, so they're really not interesting from a diff perspective.

Is there a process for assigning copyright to ZeroC, such that this can get integrated into the Ice distribution? (Assuming that the Powers That Be approve of the patch's function and approach, natch.)

[Edit: updated patch to use the default Ice::Identity operator<< for output.]

Mike

Comments

• re: add subscriber listing to icestormadmin

Anyone interested in this? Bueller?
  • I'll have a look at this this week and see whether we can add it. But we have to solve the copyright issue. Marc, any ideas?

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Originally posted by michi
    I'll have a look at this this week and see whether we can add it. But we have to solve the copyright issue.
    If it's easiest, I'm happy to declare that patch in the public domain, or take the FSF's copyright-assignment form and change some names to give it to ZeroC.

Mike
  • My apologies for the long silence...

We'll draw up some sort of copyright release agreement, so we can do this properly. (Unfortunately, we have to jump through those legal hoops.)

So, please bear with us until we get this done.

Cheers,

Michi.
  • Originally posted by michi
    My apologies for the long silence...

We'll draw up some sort of copyright release agreement, so we can do this properly. (Unfortunately, we have to jump through those legal hoops.)
    No worries. I've spent many hundreds of hours on software licensing (especially open source), so I have much sympathy for your position. Let me know if I can be of any help, I used to do that sort of thing for a living.

Mike
  • Hi all,

I've redone shaver's original IceStorm subscription list patch for Ice 2.1.2 -- see attachment. This feature is very useful for debugging Storm subscription issues.

How come something like this never made it into the official release?

Cheers!

Rob
  • Another vote for building this feature into icestormadmin. IceStorm is great but it can be too much of a blackbox making it hard to debug the system which uses it.

right now i'm trying to confirm proper un-subscription using 'twoway'
    http://zeroc.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2822
    and having this feature would be very useful.

thanks, alex
  • I don't think we ever received the copyright release, so we didn't add the patch to the released code.

Cheers,

Michi.