Archived

This forum has been archived. Please start a new discussion on GitHub.

Problem compiling Ice 3.3b

Hi,

I am trying to compile Ice v3.3b to try out the persistent subscribers feature & have hit a problem during compilation:

c++ -shared -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,-rpath,/opt/Ice-3.3b/lib -ftemplate-depth-128 -Wall -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/nptl -fPIC -g -L../../lib -o ../../lib/libSlice.so.3.3b -Wl,-h,libSlice.so.33b Scanner.o Grammar.o Parser.o CPlusPlusUtil.o CsUtil.o JavaUtil.o Preprocessor.o Checksum.o PythonUtil.o DotNetNames.o RubyUtil.o Util.o MD5.o MD5I.o SignalHandler.o -lIceUtil -lmcpp -lpthread -lrt
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmcpp

Ice v3.2.1 compiled just fine on this system (Fedora Core 4). Do I need extra libraries for the 3.3 release?

Scott. :)

Comments

• scottie wrote: »
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmcpp

The same problem occurs on Ubuntu 7.04 & Fedora 8.
  • Ah! I need to build mcpp from the 3rd party sources.
  • Is mcpp really necessary? What does it do? Will anything break if I patch out the "-lmcpp" from the compilation lines?

I'm also having other compilation issues on Fedora 8 that I'll try to track down and describe in more detail shortly.

MEF
  • mefoster wrote: »
    Is mcpp really necessary? What does it do? Will anything break if I patch out the "-lmcpp" from the compilation lines?

To answer my own question: yes, Ice does use some functions defined by mcpp. It would be nice if mcpp also provided *.h files; it feels vaguely dirty to get access to functions purely through linking. :)

My other compilation issues seem to have come from using the stock version of mcpp 2.7 from sourceforge instead of the patched 2.6 version that's available on the download page. Guess I need to read that patch now ...

MEF
  • mefoster wrote: »
    I'm also having other compilation issues on Fedora 8 that I'll try to track down and describe in more detail shortly.

Me too - java stuff. I haven't worked out what's wrong/missing yet. Java error messages are rather verbose but still don't help the uninitiated (like me) work out how to fix the problem.
    mefoster wrote: »
    Maintainer of Fedora Ice packages

Ohhh! Tell me more. :)
  • [Re: compiling on Fedora 8]
    scottie wrote: »
    Me too - java stuff. I haven't worked out what's wrong/missing yet. Java error messages are rather verbose but still don't help the uninitiated (like me) work out how to fix the problem.

It's probably the case that that you don't have the required libraries installed and in your CLASSPATH; take a look at the Java INSTALL file to see what's needed. Java compilation can be a bit tricky ...

[Re: Fedora packages]
    scottie wrote: »
    Ohhh! Tell me more. :)

Yup, on Fedora greater than 7, you should be able to just "yum install ice" and have the packages installed for you. Depending on what you're developing, you need different sub-packages; try "yum list ice\*" to see what's there.

At the moment, that'll get you 3.2.1; as you can probably tell, I'm currently working on updating those packages to 3.3, and hopefully that'll be available on Fedora shortly after the final version is released.

MEF