Home Help Center

C# AMI exception handling on client

LAstakhovLAstakhov Member Leonid AstakhovOrganization: Kaspersky LabProject: AVP
Ice 3.3

Exception of type derived from Ice::UserException is thrown on a server inside AMI asynchronous call.
Client receives this exception through ice_exception method provided by the client callback.

Client is written on C#. Server side is C++.

The problem is UnknownUserException type is posted to the ice_exception callback instead of my user exception type.

How to catch my own exception type on the client side?

clent code:

public class ClientCallback : coordinator.AMI_IJob_Start
{

public override void ice_response()
{
}

public override void ice_exception(Ice.Exception ex)
{
// ex is of UnknownUserException type why?
}

}

Comments

• bernardbernard Jupiter, FLAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Bernard NormierOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice ZeroC Staff
    Hi Leonid,

You need to add your exception to the exception specification of the corresponding Slice operation. Otherwise, Ice transforms this exception into an UnknownUserException.

Cheers,
    Bernard
  • LAstakhovLAstakhov Member Leonid AstakhovOrganization: Kaspersky LabProject: AVP
    Thanks, Bernard.

This really helps. The problem was in ice definition.

the function was declared as throwing exception of type ServerEx which is derived from class RootEx.

exception RootEx
    {
    };

exception ServerEx extends RootEx
    {
    };

interface Server
    {
    void Add( ServerItem item ) throws ServerEx;
    }

If I try to throw RootEx exception from a server side it is catched as UnknownUserException on a client until I define this:

interface Server
    {
    void Add( ServerItem item ) throws ServerEx, RootEx;
    }

Doesn't look strange? ServerEx is derived from RootEx so RootEx must be catched on client as well. Another way I would have to define the whole chain of derived classes as possible types to throw :(
  • bernardbernard Jupiter, FLAdministrators, ZeroC Staff Bernard NormierOrganization: ZeroC, Inc.Project: Ice ZeroC Staff
    Hi Leonid,

You can list only the root exception of your user-exception hierarchy (RootEx) in the Slice exception specification. See "Exception Inheritance" in the Ice manual for full details!

Cheers,
    Bernard